Logo

adjusting carb while useing 56 evinrude 7.5

irishwoodsman

Regular Contributor
ok i have 2 knobs on my motor is one for adjusting carb at low speeds and the 2 knob adjusting at high speeds i just want to make sure i dont ruin my motor, i had a friend help me to day put a water pump in and a shifting seal kit the shifting arm was realy slopy so we put a brass bushing in the houseing and new orings and no more leaks i have manuals on the way but he wasnt for sure on the knobs adjustments i plan on takeing it out tuesday for the first time all help greatly appreciated

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)
Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note 1: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

Note 2: If the engine should be a three (3) cylinder engine with three (3) carburetors, start the adjustment sequence with the center carburetor.
When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Set the high speed at 3/4 turn from lightly seated. Adjust the low speed first then the high speed at WOT in forward. Do this on the lake not in a barrel. Again 1/8 turns or so until the motor starts to slow down then back until it picks back up. After you get the high speed set go back and check the low speed again. Loosen the screws on the end of valve, pull the lever off and place it halfway between the stops allowing you to fine tune for weather conditions. And the low speed needle is the upper one.

Back