Logo

Coil Not Working?

jumpin

I have 1987 454 350 hp engines with electronic ignition. My question is if the module in the distributor is bad will my coil still fire? I am getting 12 volts at the positive side of the coil and with the other lead grounded on the engine block with my tester. When I try the starter with one lead on the positive side of the coil and the other lead on the negative side of the coil I get no voltage. Also, when I pull the coil wire off the distributor an hold it against the block while turning the motor over i get no fire. I swithched coils to a new one so I am pretty sure I works. If anyone has any ideas, they will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi,

Before you try the module take the distributor cap off and make sure that the rotor turns while cranking the motor. If not then you've got a bigger problem.

Good Luck,
Jon Allen

This thing happened to us last year as we were heading out of the inlet and a simple swap from the other engine, proved the problem...while we were still screwed, we were able to confirm our suspicions easily by swapping from the running engine. Line Six Rick got me thinking this way several years ago....it has not failed me yet.

Back