Logo

help please, pull the head off 7.4 MPI

vinceFR

is it possible to pull the cylinder head off without removing the intake manifold ? :confused:

I already pulled the exhaust man. off and the headcover but would prefer not to touch the intake manifold, is there any bolt from the intake man. into the head ?

many thanks

thanks Doctur !

I have the SELOC doc, but nothing really in it on this.
maybe more in that one ?
it's my first time on a MPI (had a carb 5.7 before), why also i'm cautious (anxious..)

last question : to remove the intake man., I must remove the distributor (with a mark !) but don't need to bother about the pistons position ?
(i will not turn it of course)

fuel rail fitting, removal, is it difficult ?

many thanks

Use the Seloc as a knee pad while you read the real Mercruiser manual
The dist pos is not that critical , considering you will be moving the motor to adjust the valve train when you re-assemble it.There is a toll available from most auto stores to release the fuel lines ,you will need it.
And the reason your doing this work?

you confirm me about the Seloc...
the reason need some explanation: a "pro" change my old carb 5.7 into a used 7.4 MPI, ran well last summer, he took it back this automn to change the exhaust (he was due to do it before but did'nt but the engine never overheated). Now boat back but milky oil and droplets of saltwater and oil in cylinders 5&7 (otherwise started well), it's the headgasket or the head or the block craked (he told me he winterized, frozen conditions, I don't really trust him). So before paying another "pro" (this one collapsed, not a surprise) I would like to diagnose to make my decision: I don't want to be a prisonner of a pro to overpay another change of the engine...this 7.4 was running very well, so if he has really winterized, could be only a headgasket, worth to know
thanks for your help Doc
(i'm a frenchy, sorry for my american)

A leakdown test could confirm that the gasket went out between 5 and 7 .Most blown gaskets will show the visual signs of the blow out.If this was a rebuild find out if it was bored and how much of an overbore

Back