Logo

Edelbrock 1409

Took the top off; 8 screws & 3 linkages. Simple. Cleaned dirt/crud from float chambers, springs, accelerator pump, etc. Back together in a jiff. Ran on fresh fuel from a separate container & she fired right up. Careful with the 3 spring clips that hold the above mentioned linkages in place. They are TINY. Now to evacuate about 15/20 gals. of contaminated fuel & hopefully get as much crud as possible out of the tank.

Any suggestions?

Thanx in advance.

..."Careful with the 3 spring clips that hold the above mentioned linkages in place"

We don't call them "SOB clips" for nothing!

If anyone out there is planning on working with these carb, be sure to visit a good hardware store and buy a few extra "E-clips". I have a bunch of them from al the carb rebuilds I've done over the decades.

Jeff

PS: "Rebuilding" a carb without soaking it in solvent overnight, then blowing out all the passages, is rarely effective. This is an essential step to getting them to "behave".

go in through the sender hole with a shop vac

You're saying to suck out 15/20 gallons of GASOLINE with a shop vac??????? I'm not comfy with that idea, with all due respect. Don't wanna go BOOM!! Besides, my shop vac extension is too wide to fit. I think I'm gonna give it a try with a primer bulb for now & see what the results are. Thanx for the reply.

Up-date: Using a " primer " bulb I pumped out 15 gals. of old fuel thru the fuel feed hose into a 3 qt. clear plastic container. When fuel level dropped below the pick-up tube, pumped the rest out thru the sending unit hole. Surprisingly, the gas was crystal clear w / no visible dirt altho a bit yellowish ( see pics ) & I am now using it in my '94 Caprice. Upgraded to a screw-on fuel/water separator w/a 10 micron filter. There is also an inline filter between pump & carb as well as a screen filter at the carb inlet.... Added 20 gals. of fresh hi-test with Startron & engine fired up & runs smoothly in all rpm ranges.The boat is on a trailer so can't run engine under load but there is little to no hesitation on quick throttle advance. Engine is a 1981 Chrysler 318 RWC.

Last edited:
Hey guys new member here. I'm having problems with my secondaries on 1409 edelbrock,in gm 350 small blk, boat runs fine until i try to get up on step then she bogs dn,so when i held them open it jumped out of the water. what do you guys think? Vacume prob or?

Either a weak accelerator pump, or the economizer needles aren't going to full rich soon enough.

That is assuming that your problem is carburetion. It's very possible that your spark advance is ticking.

Jeff

Last edited:
You're saying to suck out 15/20 gallons of GASOLINE with a shop vac??????? I'm not comfy with that idea, with all due respect. Don't wanna go BOOM!! Besides, my shop vac extension is too wide to fit. I think I'm gonna give it a try with a primer bulb for now & see what the results are. Thanx for the reply.

I meant get the some of the solid matter out once you pumped out the gas with the drill pump and primer bulb and let it dry out with the sender unit out

Just making sure your on your toes!

can any one post a pic or direct me to the location of the accelerator pump, i believe i have a problem with mine. Issue is stalling as i try to give the motor gas under load.

Back