Logo

Spare parts advise?

Finback

I am taking a boat with two new injected Crusader 5.7s on an extended cruise to a remote area (south east Alaska inside passage). What engine spares and supplies would you suggest for such a trip.

A quick thought... shot from the hip, so to speak, : oil & filters, fuel filters, spare hoses, fuses, odd specialty tools, fan belts, assorted nuts and bolts, tape, antifreeze, water, lengths of wire, clamps,

If I sat and thought about it, I would overload the boat...maybe a nice idea for you to take it out a few times to be sure everything is responding the way you think it should...temps, pressures, fuel feed, vibrations....etc

I think you can search Google for a advisable spare parts list. I carry what was mentioned above, and 2 of the longest oil cooler lines, a raw water pump and impellers, spare prop (with nuts) and a spare alternator.

I make runs to the Bahamas and parts there are very expensive.

I have (also) a spare electronic ignition module, Hall Effect sensor (in the distributor), spare cap and rotor, fuel pump, ballast resistor, plugs and plug wires (etc.)

I try to have onboard enough stuff to replace all that could go wrong, but... Not all that heavy.

Jeff

You know you could probably never plan for everything but surely these suggestions are all from experience. You have new engines so PROBABLY you will enjoy the option but I really think a few test runs will help insure peace of mind. In electronics or computers, the mean time between failures and burn in times either cause a lifetime of use or failure in a very short time. If after a few hours you are satisfied...cool! My 1925 Henderson did almost 135 initial miles before the fuel line cracked and the bike caught fire at 50 mph. My 1953 panhead made about 18 miles before it brokedown but as I worked out the kinks, I could ride 'em anywhere, confidently. ( not much room for extra parts):)

Before you leave, I'd put on at least 10 hours on the engines and do an oil change. One more anchor than you plan on using, plus an impellor set.

A good set of tools! lol .. electrical tape, duct tape, gasket maker, flashlight, extra bilge blower. Like everyone said with new motors, hopefully all will be well and if you try to cover all possibilities the boat will be overloaded. Just have the numbers to emergency tow possibilities wherever your gonna be

Last edited:
Back