Logo

Bravo 3 hinge pin removal

paoutdoorsman

Hello all! Just found the site in my quest for answers. Looks like a great place!

I'm working on Bravo 3 sterndrive in an 02 Crownline and have a couple questions. I'm wanting to do some preventitive maintenance on the outdrive by installing a bellows kit. My first question is regarding the hinge pins. I'm rather certain they have never been removed. I bought an aftermarket hinge pin tool and tried removing one of the pins with my 3/8 inch Snap-On impact. The tool sheared off clean just above the 12 point splines without budging the hinge pin. Should I buy the genuine Mercruiser tool, or am I going about this wrong?

My second question is in regards to the bell housing water hose. I notice it does not come in the OEM Mercruiser bellows kit, but is included in some of the aftermarket kits. Should this hose be replace when doing the bellows? Seems like a good thing to do as I'm almost certain this is still all the original components.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ayuh,... The hinge pins are lock-tited in,.. Put some Heat to 'em 1st...
Then just use a 1/2" allen key...

Yes,.. Replace the Hose...

Do not use a impact gun!!!!!!!!!

Use a 1/2 in breaker bar and maybe an extension pipe to break them free,

Using a impact gun will strip the 12 point.........................

Also make sure the 12 point is ALL THE WAY SEATED !!!!!!

If the water hose is dry and cracked then replace if not then no.

Hmmm Loctite... Red or Blue? Should I heat the pin or the bell housing?

Thanks!

Ayuh,...It's the Non-permanent stuff,....
It's on the inside 1/2' of pin,....
300°/ 400°, maybe 500° is about All it takes to defeat the Lock-tite....
Where,+ How you heat it will depend on the Torch,+ Talent used,....;)

When I reinstall them I grease the threads not locktight them because they will need to come out again at some point, They have a torque spec I beleive of 90 ft lbs so they are not going anywhere......

Where,+ How you heat it will depend on the Torch,+ Talent used,....;)

I picked up a BernZomatic TS8000 kit with mapp gas. Pretty obvious I have no talent with this ;), so your suggestions would be much appreciated and most helpful. I assume I need to avoid the fiber or plastic washers between the bell housing and gimble ring? Thanks all!

My opinion is NOT to use heat if you do not have to as you will ruin the paint and other things such as fiber washers. If you do try to focus the flame ONLY into the 12 point "hole" in the pin so you do not get any of the paint.

Get a good, long, heavy duty breaker bar setup and do as I suggested in my earlier post..................

All you have to do is break them free one time!!!!

My opinion is NOT to use heat if you do not have to as you will ruin the paint and other things such as fiber washers. If you do try to focus the flame ONLY into the 12 point "hole" in the pin so you do not get any of the paint.

Get a good, long, heavy duty breaker bar setup and do as I suggested in my earlier post..................

All you have to do is break them free one time!!!!

Thanks kghost. I did take your suggestion with the second tool I recieved. Additionally I took the advice of others regarding heat and used my 1100 degree Milwaukee heat gun to put as much heat as I could into the bell housing to help release the lock-tite. Using a Craftsman half inch breaker bar, the second tool twisted off quicker than the first when I was using the impact. These tools seem very soft.

I don't really want to burn the paint off my outdrive, or melt any hoses or wires causing more work, but I obviously need to get these out. I'm hoping the genuine Mercruiser hinge pin tool is built stronger or out of better material. I'm going to order one tomorrow. If it comes down to it and I must use the mapp gas, should i order the fiber washers as well? I assume there is a good chance they will get damaged with the heat.

For your viewing pleasure... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hingepin1.jpg

hingepin2.jpg

Last edited:
Ayuh,... The hinge pins are lock-tited in,.. Put some Heat to 'em 1st...
Then just use a 1/2" allen key...

Yes,.. Replace the Hose...

I did order the genuine Mercruiser tool but it may be a couple days before it arrives. I'm tempted to try the 1/2" allen key in the mean time, but don't want to risk stripping the 12 point head. Have you found the allen to seat securely enough to provide a strong grip without slipping?

It looks as if someone may have over tightened it or the locktite is doing a really really good job............

You may need to get some hotter gas and really heat it up before attempting to remove it again.

A 1/2 inch allen wrench may not be a good idea with your situation.

OMC used a 1/2 inch allen hex bolt (better idea than a stupid 12 point).

If you know a welder see if he can weld the two halfs together.

Looks like red Loctite was the biggest holdup on my hinge pins. I bought the $48 Berzomatic TS8000 Torch with Mapp gas kit at Lowes. I gave the bell housing and pin about 40-50 seconds of heat each, then set my torque wrench at 100 ft lbs and used it to try removing the pins. They came loose without clicking at 100 lbs. Had it clicked I was prepared to add more heat so I didn't have a 3 broken tool :D. Thanks everyone for the advice!

pins1.jpg

pins2.jpg

Back