Logo

Could somebody tell me something about the honda 7.5 cdi 4 stroke bf75l wont start

gary_mc

I need help with this engine I pull the cord and nothing happened It won't start ,on the engine cover said CDI 4 stroke? and there is a outlet on the side of the engine ,Just wondering if I'm doing some wrong I hope there is someone out there that can tell me step by step what to do.
thank you.

Last edited:
Re: Could somebody tell me something about the honda 7.5 cdi 4 stroke bf75l wont st

The outlet on the side is just a 12 Volt charging circuit that will output >5 Amps when running at cruise speed, this will charge your battery.

If this engine has not been run for a while, first suspect would be a 'gummed up' carburator, spray a LITTLE Starting Fluid in intake and if it runs for a few seconds, you will know that you are going to need to completely disassemble and thoroughly clean your carburator.

Compression, fuel and a spark at the right moment is all that is needed to run.

Compression you can feel when you pull cord, fuel issue is mentioned above and if you remove both spark plugs and ground them, you should see a nice blue spark when
cord is pulled.

Your first step would be to try the Starting Fluid, sold in an aerosol can at any auto parts store, don't use too much!

Re: Could somebody tell me something about the honda 7.5 cdi 4 stroke bf75l wont st

As the man said, DON"T USE TOO MUCH STARTING FLUID!!!! I strongly suggest that you don't use starting fluid at all. It can destroy an engine in one application if done improperly. In actuallity, it typically causes some degree of damage even when used judiciously.

All good auto mechanics these days use propane as a starting aid and as a diagnostic tool instead of ether. Diesel mechanics have discovered that WD-40 works well as a starting aid without causing engine damage. Starting fluid is just too volatile and most people do not use it correctly to avoid damage. Most guys using it for the first time say "gee, wow, golly that works great!" and continue to spray and marvel at how the engine starts and runs on it. NOT GOOD!!

The problem is, that if you are running your engine on ether, then you should spell running...RUINING. If you insist on using it, only inject the slightest PUFF or WHISP of starting fluid toward the intake. I say toward, not into, for a reason. if you spray a "jet" of that into the carb and then crank the engine, it will definetly cause damage. It is better to spray a mist of it "across" the carb inlet so only a very small amount of the VAPOR enters into the intake air stream. Then, if your engine even sputters and TRYS to start, STOP! You've prooven that it needs fuel but does have spark so go back to what pilotart said about cleaning the carb.

There, I hope I've worried you enough about this stuff so that you will be very cautious when applying it to your motor.

Last edited:

Things to check before or instead of using starting fluid.
1) Depending on the year, there is a filter in the fuel pump (under the big shiny screw) that is quite small and in this era of ethanol, plugs easily. Also, depending on year, there is fuel filter inline between the fuel pump and the carb... replace it. If your year HONDA does not have this filter, buy one and install it. Be careful to observe the arrow for fuel flow direction.
2) You should probably dump any old fuel and clean out the tank of the obvious crap.
3) Cheap insurance would be to replace the hose to the tank/primer bulb. Some "replacement" ones sold several years ago were not safe with ethanol... the whole inner liner is solvent, i.e. dissolves in ethanol. A HUGE mess results from this...Believe me!

With clean fuel, clean filters and a new line/bulb... squeeze the primer bulb 5 to 6 times. It should be initially easy to squeeze and then get hard. If this happens, so far, so good. Now find and open the knurled knob on the back/bottom of the carb. Fuel should run out of the drain hose in the bottom of the carb. Squeeze primer bulb, and see more fresh fuel run out. Be responsible/safe with this drained out fuel.

If fuel does not run out, then disconnect the hose (actually small diameter tubing) between the fuel pump and the carb and squeeze the bulb. If fuel comes out now, then the carb needs a rebuild since, as a minimum, the float valve is stuck.

If all is OK with the fuel, the starting procedure is:
1) put engine in Neutral
2) more throttle to "start" position
3) Pull the choke out ( black knob on lower right front)
4) Squeeze primer bulb until it gets firm

Pull the starter cord by... slowly pull until you feel resistance, then sharply pull to start. There is an art to starting a manually choked engine. Unless the engine is warm or its a very warm day, pull choke fully out, pull cord once or twice. Then push the choke in to about 1/2 choke and pull several times until it starts. If it does not start on the 4th or 5th pull, STOP and open the choke all the way (push in) and wait until the excess fuel in the engine evaporates ( 5 to ten min wait). Start at the beginning.
If you have to do this process more than twice, there is something wrong with the engine. HONDAs of this type are very easy to start if they are "up to snuff"

I've had engines that have sat for 6 months winterized, and then started on the second pull.

Last edited:
Back