Logo

what's everybody using for oil??

billymac

I have a 2002 5.7 crusader x2 the owners manual says they don't approve synthetic engine oil but a lot of people are saying mobile 1 synthetic is the oil to use..... I was going to change out this weekend and was going to use Rotella 10-40 unless i can use synthetic oil then i would look down that path for any input..???

I use mobil Delvac 1300. Find it to be a great oil...didnt have the zinc cut out of it, and doesnt seem to get as burnt and black looking as quickly. I do a yearly and sometime twice/year oil change depending on how much trolling I do

This is one of those big debate topics. I used straight weight 30 or 40 in any brand I could find of national recognition and changed the oils 30 to 40 hours. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic in my 2001 F-150 since about 20,000 mi and today, it has 234,000. It truly runs NO DIFFERENTLY than the day I picked it up. I use it mostly for highway trips and am tickled pink every mile I run.

I discovered, although not cheap, Royal Purple Synthetic Oil is available in straight weight formulas. I am using it this season and although we have about 700 hours on these engines, my top end rebuilds and overall view of the engines show them to be in very good condition. I guess we'll see. From everything I have read since 2009, synthetic oils are superior in all areas of lubrication...again...FROM WHAT I HAVE READ.

In my mind, oil is like the blood in the engine, blah, blah, blah my 2 cents

I've been using Castrol HD40, but I never start in cold weather. I'm tempted to try amsoil 10-40, the one that is made for flat tappet engines (SJ rated, I believe). Although my engines have not yet used synthetic, I can think of no technical reason for Crusader to not allow synthetic.

My 89' 7.4s have had synthetic oil for many years, I purchased the boat last spring and continue with synthetics. Using Mobil 1 now. I have 872 hours. Also use the same oil in my generator. I do not have the gunk problem that occurs with regular oil.

This is the first time I used synthetics, and will begin using in my cars next time the oil gets changed.

Question about the switch to synthetic... I pull/suck out from my dip stick at change. Can I switch with that process or will the leftovers spoil it?

i was reading up on the mobile 1 synthetic and it says you can go back an forth from reg to synthetic oil so i'm thinking the little bit left after sucking it out won't hurt....just a hunnch from what i read.
The crusader man nnual said that synthetic has not been tested but that was a 2002 manual so maybe it's ok now??? i can't imagine it would hurt but i would hate to make the mistake....

I also read that when you switch to synthetic, there is a terminal amount of oil that will remain in the pan. This eventually is reduced in its ratio thru future changes and is not harmful. After all, blended synthetic oils ( not fully synthetic) is a mix anyway

Mobil 1 full synthetic - 1986 454's - used since 87. Only got over 3000 hours on each one before they were overhauled. Well past that now.

Going the switch to synthetic. When I replaced the ucoolers a month ago I had oil in them and in the lines. Does that drain when pan becomes empty? If not I think best to remove a line and suck them too.

Anyone know if they drain?

Thanks

Have been using Penzoil Marine 30W since bought boat about 5 yrs ago. Boat is 1988 with 454s and 1400hrs.

Have been thinking about switching to synthetic but not sure if is good idea with that many hours. What's the consensus?

Back