Logo

volvo B-20 auto vs marine engine the same??

keithmckinley

hello,

Can anyone say for sure if a Volvo B-20 automobile head will work on a volvo aq-130 ( also a B-20) marine engine? Is there a water jacket issue between the block and the head??

Thanks,

Keith

Keith, you're at a common decision point. You can certainly rebuild the B20 but the new parts are going to be expensive. Metal timing gears, oversized pistons, new oil pump (or at least a rebuild kit) are going to cost you plenty and you can probably rebuild a newer OHC engine for the same or less.

The pushrod engines are great but they just don't make them anymore. It's a minor change going to the "rubber band" engines. Wiring is similar and the only major component you'll need to change is the exhaust pipe. They OHC AQ series is obsolete as well but they're a little newer and engine rebuild parts are more readily available

Welcome to the world of "danged old boats"! :rolleyes:

I too work on these OHC 4's, and I can tell you that they are good engines! Very easy to work on.
I'm just not as familiar with the component interchangeability as Eduardo is.
The entire engine itself is very interchangeable with any push rod engine.... minus a few things already mentioned.

I'd "hands down" use one of these over that of one of the push rod engines!:D

Back