Logo

2007 25 hp Mercury will not run at wide open throttle

merciervic

I have a issue with my little 25 Merc, it’s a 2007 tiller manual choke 2 cylinder single carb model. The motor runs great a low speed but when you try to run WOT it bogs down. I have had the carb cleaned at my local marc dealer, changed the fuel line, cleaned the tank, changed the plugs, and changed the water pump, all of these things helped a little (maybe it sure starts easier) but it still will not pull WOT. I have checked the compression 116 lbs on both cylinders. I’m stumped any one have any sugestions?
Thanks
Vic

Re: 25 Mercury will not run at wide open throttle

Vic,

I had a similar problem with my 25HP Merc, although it is a 1995 w/remote steering. It turned out the fuel tank vent was clogged and whenever I tried to run WOT, the carbs were not getting enough fuel. I replaced the old tank (it was pretty shabby anyway) and it fixed the problem.

Dave

I have the exact opposite problem with my 25 Mariner. It runs fantastic at full throttle but wants to die at low speed and idle. If I hold the choke out it will idle, but even when it's warmed up when I push the choke in it won't idle. Isn'y there an idle screw I can adjust to turn the idle up a little bit? If so where is it?

Ohnomark, sounds like your slow jet is stopped up. Clean and rebuild the carbs, and you should be good to go.

Try backing out the idle mixture screw 1/4 turn at a time and see if that helps.

Jeff

I have the exact opposite problem with my 25 Mariner. It runs fantastic at full throttle but wants to die at low speed and idle. If I hold the choke out it will idle, but even when it's warmed up when I push the choke in it won't idle. Isn'y there an idle screw I can adjust to turn the idle up a little bit? If so where is it?

Me too, was gonna ask that question but saw this 1st. Mine may or may not idle, but, it's real low.Can I add about 100 rpms? Thanks Dickey

Had that problem with my 1985 model & it was a small crack in pickup tube in the fuel tank it finally got big enough that it would just die & I found it??? Hope this helps
Can someone tell me what the timing is suppose to be set on??? THANKS

Back