Logo

Water in lower end 1967 120

txgalzdah

Regular Contributor
1967 MC1 120hp. Two weeks ago I wanted to lube the cylinders and build some oil pressure. I pulled the plugs and put the muffs on so I would not burn up the water pump impeller. Had the water running for about 20-30 minutes.
Took the boat down to the river today to check the transom work for any leaks. The leg was all the way up the whole time. Boat was in the water for about 20 minutes. When we returned I noticed water dripping off the drive. The water felt oily so we caught some in a cup and by gum it is gear case oil. Appears to be coming from the area around the lower shift shaft. Shaft, seal, nut are all new.
I opened the oil drain on the lower end and caught about 1/4 cup of water before I got oil.
Of course I will have to pull stuff apart and find where the water intrusion is. From where I am at I see three points of failure, the shift shaft seal, water pump o-ring, and propeller shaft seal.
For those of you who have gone this path before, what would be a good way to approach this? Also, this unit does not pass oil between the upper and lower unit.
Regards,
TxGalz Dah

Re: Water in lower end

Pressure test - about 15psi - should show you the 'opening'.

Only drawback is the point you select to add the 'air'. If you use the 'fill hole' and the gasket on the screw was the source, it won't show on the pressure test.

Roger that on the fill hole being the intrusion point. New gaskets on all plugs though. Any suggestions on psi set up?
Regards,
TxGalz Dah

Get a bicycle tire hand pump, cut the shrader valve end off, cut the hose aprox 16 inches total in length. if you have a hand pump system for putting gear oil in the out drive then you have the correct fitting in that set up and remove it and use it at the end of the pump tubing.

Now you will need a pressure guage (0-30 psi) would be best. This guage needs to be installed inbetween the pump and the fitting, closer to the pump than the fitting.

Empty all the oil from the outdrive. Put one of the plugs back in WITH gasket.
Screw the pump fitting into the other threaded hole, (make sure you use a oring or gasket to seal this fitting whne screwed in.

Pump up until you reach ~ 15 psi and listen closely. This should be able to hold this pressure for at least 2 full minutes with NO leak down.

If it leaks down then find the source.

What about the small quad oring used between the upper and lower where the oil transferes between the two halfs????

Know that the quad oring would be a point of failure I was diligent in its installation. Of course that does not mean I got it exactly right. I will be sure to check that point also during the presure test.
Thank you for the info. Looks like I have a little work ahead of me. I suppose I should pressure test the upper while I am at it. Any issues or concerns there?
Regards,
TxGalz Dah

Do not take apart the out drive first.

Drain the oil first then pressure check the whole outdrive at one time.

After assuring you have a leak and if you can not pinpoint it, then take the two half apart.

Once apart you will need to plug the oil hole between the two half to check the lower and the upper seperatly.

Ok. I understand what your saying about the oil port. I will do the hole thing first. Thanks for throwing that my way. I would have over looked that. Thanks again.
TxGalz Dah

Issue resolved. Unit would not hold any air. Dropped lower end, plugged oil port, air is bubbling out of shif shaft nut seal. Checked it out and the seal will go in and come out by hand. Very odd since it is a new nut. Lucky for me I have a spare. I pressed in the seal and the unit held 15 psi for about 10 minutes. Then my fiber plug popped out of the oil port. I figure 10 minutes at 15psi is a fair test.
Now to get the lower end back on. Again, Thanks for your help.
Regards,
TxGalz Dah

Thanks. Could not have been done without the help of the good folks on this site. Again, my most gratefull thanks. Here's tippin three fingers to ya right now.
TxGalz Dah

Back