Logo

Gasoline age in crusader 8.1's

JeffMB392

How long does gas last in the tanks ?
My 2001 Crusaders are sipping fuel that is close to a year old.
It was bought at the fuel dock here in marina del Rey.
I have both tanks at half full and want to freshen up the old gas with some new stuff. Does most marine formula gas have stabilizers in it ?
The boat runs fine, but I'm worried it going bad.
So will a refill with fresh gas help things last longer?
Thanks
Jeff

How long - that's a $64000 question - not as long as it used to.

On the east coast, I've been able to add stabilizer and use fuel as old as 18 months but I wouldn't encourage that approach. Have no idea how they blend it over there.

Marinas add stabilizers - never seen one though for the price they ask you'd think it wouldn't be asking for much.

I'd burn it as soon as possible and check with your preferred marina to see what their supplier tells them....most will recommend you use any fuel within 30 days of pumping it; maybe long if a stabilizer is added.

I am at Aqua Yacht Harbor on Pickwick Lake on the Tennessee River. Texaco supplies the gasoline. It is stabalized and contains no alcohol.

One problem is that we tend to count the age of gasoline from the day we put it in our tanks. With gasoline consumption down, it stays in the marina tanks for some time. This can especially be a long time during the winter months. Gasoline ages in the marina storage tank just like it does in your boat.

Chuck Hanson

The reason I started asking about this was
I had fired up my girlfriends Honda 4 stroke dirt bike and the exhaust smelt horrible.
The bike had bad has. Drained it new gas, normal exhaust odor.
I knew I smelled that smell before and it was my boat exhaust.
Will adding 100 gallons of "fresh" gas to 100 gal of going bad gas Be ok?
The boat seems to run ok. I guess the computer compinsates?
Jeff

Jeff,
If your worried about the condition of the fuel, topping it off with 50% fresh and 50% old will definetly help as long as you haven't built sludge or gumed up the carbs. Personal opinion would be that topping it off will be your best wway to go then try running it out as fast as possible. If it's acting weird on you you can always add some octane boost. But, if you've gone past a certain point there is no saving it.

You will probably be ok whatever you do since the engine runs good now. However if it was me, since it is running ok now, I would burn it up as is without topping off. If you are not using your boat much, a year from now you will have 1/2 2 year old gas and 1/2 1 year old gas.

You MUST add a stabilizer when letting a tank of gas sit. That's never been an option and, with "evil-nol", it's even more essential. And not DO use dry gas! That just makes a bad deal worse since it draws in even more moisture. Use dry gas only in cars/ trucks with non-vented fuel tanks.

Jeff

Back