Logo

better grounds...

slauder

Regular Contributor
I added divers dream transom zinc using half inch diameter silicon bronze studs. I found leftover roll of #6 marine grade (tinned) pvc wire. I can run two staight lines from engines to stud. On my tiara I have a few large clusters of green #8 bonding wires on strut mount as well as on engines. Thinking may from engine to strut, then to DD stud. Will I impeed the ground much to have the splice? I'm using the full metal lugs and heat em with tourch and soider em up. Connector are not copper though? What you think best?

if the current green wires run from the engine blocks to the struts and they are in servicable condition, just add a wire from the new zinc to the strut. One should be adequate, two provides redundancy.

Marine grade copper terminals (tinned) are best. Soldering is fine if done corrected, so is crimping with the same caveat. Double walled heat shrink makes for the final touch.

You're described scenario works, but how do you bond the fuel tanks, logs, rudders, etc? It is easer to work with bare, perforated, strapping and branching off the main trunk as you pass by the object to be bonded. Try to use only SiBronze fasteners, failing that, copper, then use brass, avoid stainless steel hardware in the electrical path. I'm good with the idea of solder, done right. I'm a bit leary of high strand count copper in the bilge water, however. If you use the high flex stuff, seal the ends well with heat shrink, maybe even with 5200 inside it before the crimp.

Found the all metal lugs from wmarine was tinned copper. I have green #8 to all the items DD mentioned. It apears that a small hole and self tapping screw (ss) used on all the bronze and lugs on stud for struts. Lugs appear to be ss.
I scuff up the inside of the lug and fill a one size larger lug with soider. After a boil I incert the tinned wire. Its pvc is melting to edge of lug. I have not yet tried the heat tube, but the connections are far better then the cheesie crimps last year...

Back