Logo

steering fork removal

tedm2

Contributing Member
I am trying to remove the steering fork from an AQ271A/DP290A transom shield. For 2 weeks I have sprayed PB Blaster on the steering arm and driven wedges between the transom shield and the fork. I have driven chisels into the slot of the steering arm to hopefully open it up enough to break it's hold on the fork. So far nothing is moving. Does anyone have any additional information on getting this apart?

I also would like to replace the trim poitentimeter. It is supposed to just lift out from the top of the steering assembly but there is not enough head room to lift it out. Does the steering fork need to be dropped before there is enough room top tilt it out?

I also have a question about the steering assembly bushings. The parts list says that 2 of each are needed but the diagram shows 1 each. Which is right? Will all of the parts that should be replaced become evident when this blasted assembly finally comes apart?

Top and bottom bushings are each different in diameter and a different P/N. These also need to be epoxied in place for best results.
Don't forget the V-ring seal!

Your use of the small chisel in the pinch area is exactly what I do on these. Remove the pinch bolt entirely!
Next would be several good hardwood wedges used between the collar of the fork and the transom shield at the exterior. Hardwood will normally not damage the paint! Cut yourself several of them, because likely you'll need a combination of them.
Now drive a combination of wedges into both sides of this area.
Put some heavy force on them to create the down-ward movement!

I'm not convinced that penetrating oils do much good here, as this can take weeks for it to enter where it needs to be when you have rust that is all but impenetrable.

Treat the fork gently....... as it is no longer available from V/P as a fork only.... and must be purchased as an assembly now days.... or your find one used.

Back