Logo

newbie looking for some advice

antipyretiquel

Hey everyone, I'm a new boater looking for some advice. I bought an older 16' tri-hull a couple of months ago and am looking for an engine - nothing too fancy, but, I would like something reliable and able to pull for water-skiing, tubing etc. I've been told that I should look for a Mercury or Johnson post 1980 at 50hp - 100hp. I've been looking around online and have found some decently priced engines without ignition and controls. I have never worked on marine engines before, but I have worked on all types of 2 and 4 stroke engines as well as some diesel engines and I am fairly mechanically inclined. My questions are:

What is the ideal hp for this type of boat and what I want to do?

Is it worth buying an engine without throttles and cables etc if I am looking to save some money?

How difficult is it to find those things and to hook up?

Thanks in advance!!!!

What is the ideal hp for this type of boat and what I want to do?

Ayuh,... As Big as allowed,per the Capacity plate...
Is it worth buying an engine without throttles and cables etc if I am looking to save some money?

So what are you Saving, ya still need the controls, buying separately is usually More money...
How difficult is it to find those things and to hook up?

Nope,... It's pretty straight forward...

Location depends on the Make of the boat. Could be located around the transom area or maybe by the steering wheel. Usually 2X3 inches or so. Are there any controls installed in the boat now? The steering setup would affect your options if it is the shaft style rather than the cable/pulley setup.

Back