Logo

1962 40 hp Powerhead: Pistons Loose?

:eek:Hello Everyone.
Hopefully some of you have probably seen this before or know about it.
In performing a variety of repairs I have removed powerhead and cylinder head. I had the PH on the bench with the top of the pistons exposed and noticed that the pistons are pretty darn loose!

I mean I know there should be SOME clearance between the rings and cylinder wall (the book shows 0.005) but geeze, I can wiggle them good! This is my first outboard overhaul but I remember automotive pistons being in there pretty tight and having no wiggle room at all!

Should the pistons be in there tight and immoveable? Or am I in for ring replacement (and if so, should I replace bearings if they look good or just rings and go)? Also, will I need ring compressor or can I install by hand?

PS: Motor IS NOT locked up and feels pretty smooth and turns easy, maybe too easy... I can grab the top of crankshaft with my hand and turn it effortlessly, should it be that easy to turn?

Thanks a Million!

Shawn
progress.gif

Sounds normal.. they can be pretty loose but the turning by hand concerns me unless you are using the flywheel. I usually have a tough time turning them just by using the top of the bare crankshaft but no problem if using the flywheel - with head removed that is. Did you take a compression check? That would be the best indicator of piston/cylinder condition.

Thanks for the reply Piper! Much appreciated this morning!
One other thing: when I pulled the cylinder head I did notice some metal shavings on top of one of the pistons but the were fairly small. Also cyl walls feel smooth.
The flywheel is removed and yes it turns really very very easy, with almost no effort. I will do compression check. If compression is good I should leave it then? If compression is NOT good would it probably just be rings?
Thanks!

The compression test will let you know. It should be at least 90 lbs, each cylinder. If you have that, I would leave it. If not, a tear down is in it's future.. hard to say but I always count on it needing at least new rings - with the possibility it may need pistons. Really hard to say without removing the pistons and doing so micrometer measurements for wear and cylinder taper and condition.

Thanks Piper, will do. Since I have the head removed can I throw the old head gasket and head back on real quick just to check compression or will I need to install new head gasket and seal it?
Thanks

IMHO, the pistons are not supposed to contact the cylinder walls. If they do, the soft aluminum will be destroyed fairly quickly running on the steel liner. The rings are what contacts the walls. In my experience, they do have quite a bit of slop in the cylinders. If the liners are not scored, you are probably OK. I believe that tells you more than anything. A compression check, as suggested, will tell the whole story.

If the gasket decent - you can put it back on. Some put them on with a light coat of grease but I am not opposed to dry either. Torqued up - should be ok.

Those pistons are three (3) ring pistons. When the rings are as they should be (not frozen on piston), the piston will move sideways into the rings and do appear to be very loose.

The test is to try to slide a feeler gauge past the rings. If you can, then obviously a problem exists.

Apparently and unfortunately you did not tast the compression before removing the cylinder head. This test would have "hopefully" eased your mind.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Back