Logo

Are trim cylinders serviceable?

1stboat

Regular Contributor
I took my boat in for service today and the mechanic who did the initial look over at my drive noticed the seal on one of my trim cylinders had come out. I have a 1994 5.7 GI with a duo prop. I believe the drive is a 290.

I assume that you are typing 5.7 GI..... not 5.7 GL.... correct?
This model number will be followed by a few other letters.

However, I'm not aware of any seal kit from Volvo Penta. If you know your seals and sources, you may be able to put together the necessary parts for these.

It is an "I" and not a L. The other letters are PMDA.

I don't see any oil leaking down the chrome ram. I have wiped the trim motor and oil reservoir a few times and notice that it appears to have oil all over it again. Could water enter the system and over flow the oil resoviar and cause it to spill over. There isn't a puddle of oil, it just seems to be on the outside of the oil reservoir.

When I dropped my boat off yesterday the mechanic asked me if the engine had ever overheated before. What would that have to do with it?

It is an "I" and not a L. The other letters are PMDA.

I don't see any oil leaking down the chrome ram. I have wiped the trim motor and oil reservoir a few times and notice that it appears to have oil all over it again. Could water enter the system and over flow the oil resoviar and cause it to spill over. There isn't a puddle of oil, it just seems to be on the outside of the oil reservoir.

When I dropped my boat off yesterday the mechanic asked me if the engine had ever overheated before. What would that have to do with it?

Apparently the 5.7L GI PMDA, uses the AQ series PDS system and AQ series drive. Good stuff, the best stuff, IMO.
While it does not show the drive, Take a look here. fifth line item down!

Water in your hydraulic system will hydrogenate the oil, turning it milky in color if it has cycled several times! Using the correct tubing wrench ONLY, try to tighten your hose fittings a wee bit!

If the mechanic asked about over-heating, he may have seen other tell tale signs! He may have seen some discolored parts, blisters inside of exhaust couplers or exhaust bellows, bad sea water pump impeller....... who knows?
Ask him to explain his questioning!

Last edited:
What's the pds system stand for?

The mechanic just looked the drive over when I dropped the boat off. He didn't do any sort of close inspection from what I could tell. He just saw the seal on the port side hydraulic cylinder had come out and asked me about he engine overheating.

PDS = Primary Drive Shaft!
This is the drive shaft that couples the engine drive coupler to the transmission universal shaft.
It is housed within of the Flywheel Cover as seen below.
12121.jpg

This is used in all AQ series Volvo Penta I/O's.
Great system..... No Gimbal affair, no Gimbal bearing.

Part #2 in the above diagram?
Yes, that is correct. That is your Primary Drive Shaft.
If you have not changed the single bearing on this shaft, it would behoove you to do so. This is a Non-Servicable sealed bearing (dang Volvo for doing this) and must be periodically changed.
It is an inexpensive bearing also, and can be purchased via most any bearing suppier.

Don't mean to scare you, but the damage from a bearing failure here can be extensive, to say the least.

But back to your original topic. Did you find seals?

No, I did not find the seals. I looked at the fifth line down like you mentioned in the link you posted.

Is the bearing you mentioned that should be replaced #4 in the diagram?

No, I did not find the seals. I looked at the fifth line down like you mentioned in the link you posted.

Is the bearing you mentioned that should be replaced #4 in the diagram?

We have a member who has these kits made up and ready to go.
I know him from the BOC (BillBayliner), but am not sure what his ME.com name is. I just left word for him that you are looking.

Yes, SEQ # 4 is the bearing referred to.
It is a #6206 with an extension # that makes it a sealed bearing.
(earlier double bearing PDS use open bearings)
The seals are a 35x62x7mm in a Timken or TCM
Any bearing supplier can bring these in for you.
This bearing will be available in several different grades..... what you want is an Electric Motor grade.
SKF, KOYO.... anything but Chinese made.

Back