MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Click for Crusader parts and manuals!

Default New Wiring from Engine to helm

I am almost finished wiring the engine room wires and will be making the passage thru the bulkheads along the interior hull shell and up to the flybridge. Is there any benefit to using that flexible conduit covering on this bundle. It is suspended properly along the route. Just wondering IF there is going to be a long term benefit or a pain in the A##.

I never was one of the guys who said...let the next guy worry about it. Just looking to do A+ work

Default Re: New Wiring from Engine to helm

If I use duplex cable, I don't worry with additional covering. If its just single conductor wires, I'd put in a wireway, like you suggest. Putting unprotected single conductor wires thru holes and thru engine rooms is too aggressive for me, even if well supported. Especially, critical wiring like engine, bilge pumps and nav lights.

Ditto Dave's thoughts!

It usually looks better, too.

In the long run, it will help keep that crud from globbing onto the wire bundle. If you have enough loom, you can use that the line any bulkhead holes (use it as a grommet) and then pass the loomed cable thru it.

Yeah I'd run loom. Vibration over time against any surface can wear into he insulation of the wire. And as the last said it looks cleaner. I wire police cars from scratch and my recommendation is to figure out how many wires you are going to need, pull them all to length and loom them before installing. Basically creating a wiring harness. Place a wrap of electrical tape every foot or so so that the wire doesn't want to slide out.

Route the harness, strip the ends, and make connections.

(it should be common sense but make sure you use several different colors)

Thank you again, guys. I have this new car wash vaccum hose that looks like corrugated pool vac hose but is double walled and smooth inside . The diameter is good for the start of this run and as we get closer to the top it will be a bit big but...I have it, its' free and I'm using it

Hey Ibanez, did we go thru this some other time?....I have a few hanging on the wall as well as 2 PG-380's made for the Casio synth, one black and one white

Just one thing. Put a match to a small piece and see what happens. Polyethylene is not a good choice here.

Thanks Dave... GREAT idea...I think it may be polyethylene...

Quote Originally Posted by knuckle47 View Post
    Thank you again, guys. I have this new car wash vaccum hose that looks like corrugated pool vac hose but is double walled and smooth inside . The diameter is good for the start of this run and as we get closer to the top it will be a bit big but...I have it, its' free and I'm using it

Hey Ibanez, did we go thru this some other time?....I have a few hanging on the wall as well as 2 PG-380's made for the Casio synth, one black and one white
    Knuckle, it's possible... lol. I've used this screen name for everything since the start of the internet. I kind of forget about it and every now and again someone will catch it and ask. Wish I had time to play more...