Logo

oil & water dont mix

amantinori

Contributing Member
hey guys,
so i finally got my long block 318 rebuild back in and running. now the probelm is that my oil looks like a milk shake. i have white foam on the valve cover cap. no problem with water lock and i cant imagine the rebuild has a cracked block. can any one offer help on where to start?

I assume you bolted on the intake manifold? If so, you might have a leak there.

Sorry. I can imagine how upsetting this must be.

Jeff

That sucks.

I'd start with Jeff's suggestion.....get some new intake gaskets, pull it and reinstall. This is also the best way of ruling out a cracked block......becuase they typically crack in the valley below the intake. Hopefully, you won't need to worry about that.

yea this was like a kick in the nutz, im going to start with the intake, i got the block from rapido marine, i hope its not the block ! thousands will be waisted! ill check back wit outcome this weekend

Possibilities:

Cracked Block. Unlikely if you just had it rebuilt. Also, a cracked block will try to fill the block with so much water that it comes right out the dipstick tube.

Blown or leaking head gasket: EZ to check, via compression.

Leaking Exhaust Manifold: You'd find a wet spark plug or two.

Leaking intake manifold: Could be.

Could be left-over moisture from a previous blown headgasket. If so, it will boil off after a few runs. (Mine took 2 weeks to boil out the water after I blew a head gasket, and that's with 2 oil changes).

this was a complete rebuild from the reman long-block. I'm hoping that its the intake manifold. Also i got a bill form the marina for the install. So they were given a complete motor with trans completely assembled. All that had to be doe was drop in the motor and hook up wires, hoses and shaft. So the question is what is the reasonable # of hours i should be charged for? I want to say with prep and install it shouldn't be more then 16 hours. Thoughts???

yea im being generous, can you believe they billed me 24 hours and then tried to say there was alot of neccessary motor bay prep time?!?!?

Motor bay prep time??? Pressure wash... 20 mins tops. If you replaced the engine with the exact same engine, motor bay prep should be minimal.

Yeah, for a same-engine-swap, the only motor bay prep that could require 24-hour's worth of labor would be if they ran into major structural issues with stringers, mounts, etc.....and that's something they would have/should have told you about before addressing.

pulled off the intake manifold, seems i put the metal gaskets that came with the rebuild. I ordered replacemet gaskets ahead of time and they were not metal. IM hoping that it was not getting a good seal and the water was just bypasing the think metal. On the new kit it says something about a bypass hole on the intake??? any thoughts guys?

all is back together and looks like the gasket was the problem. question is now after 2 oil changes i still have a greenish tint to the oil. How long or what can be done to get all of teh coolant out of the oil pan

Same thing happened to me. A few runs at 3000 RPM will boil off a lot of the moisture from the oil. ( 30 minutes or longer, each run). You might even see steam come from the vent tube on the valve cover, the tube that joins to the air cleaner. I had so much steam there, that it made the engine idle rough. Then change the oil, and run it some more. If the leak is fixed, you should not see water/coolant in the oil after that. But it does take some running and oil changing.

That's good news and actually fewer cycles than many have to go through to clean out bad case of ingestion.

Yes, now that you've run out the water, change that filter. As you found out, that oil/water milkshake can be pretty sludgey. You should probably do yet another oil change in the near future anyway.......just to be on the safe side.

Back