Logo

'1988? 75hp rude - won't goto wot

jkyzer

Hi all,
Logtime no post.
Just aquired an '88 stratos b-boat w/ a 75 hp 'rude on it.
Before I bought it the seller started it, in the yard, said it was the first time started this year,(March). Ran great, and in neutral, reved up good. (only ran for about 15 sec). I bought it, took it home, cleaned it up put a new battery in and put some "seafoam" in the tank, w/ fresh fuel mix. (is 50:1 right?) and it sat till last weekend.
OKAY, here we go, took it to the lake last weekend, fired up, ran good in neutral, backed off the trailer and motored over to the dock, loaded the other guy, and proceeded to take off. In fwd gear, again, idled nice. BUT when advanced the throttle to about a third. it bogged down, and would only run about 5mph. go back to idle, and smooth, advanced throttle in cold start mode, and revved up (to about 2700 rpm), but smoked a little out the exh. Also when warmed up, got water out of the "p" hole, but it will not go to wot.
Loaded up, come home, chcked plugs(fine looking) check fire (great spark on all 3). The only other thing I did notice, the lower carb seemed to be wet w/ fuel. I haven't had time to piddle 'till now.
ANY help will be appreciated!!
Thanks,
J

Re: '88? 75hp rude - won't goto wot

I think I have the same problem with mine 60 HP 1970 Johnson.

I'm in process of restoring the reed valves - my last suspect.

Re: '88? 75hp rude - won't goto wot

If you have compression and spark, th usual cause of that problem is fouled carburetors. Clean and rebuild them as needed.

Back