Logo

1999 alpha 1 pump question

mnydvr

Regular Contributor
On a 99 there is a seal that goes on top of the pump housing,they tell you to install it last,my question is this,is it suppose to go inside the hole between the shat and the housing nad if so is there an easy way to accomplish this? thanks

i believe he is talking about the seal that slides down the shaft on top of the waterpump housing. My understanding is that it does not go into the pump housing but rests above it(just did it on my alpha 1 gen2). It should have came with a tool that you push the seal down while pulling up on the shaft

Yes it is the one you are talking about,so the seal rests on top not in the housing,the directions are very vagur to say the least,they do however tell you that improper installation WILL cause drive failure!! Thanks

The seal does NOT go in the hole in the top of the pump housing. The kit should have come with a plastic installation tool. It's just a circular peice of plastic with a flat side and a raised edge on the other side. First lube the seal with 2-4-C. The seal goes on the shaft (lip down) then use the tool (raised edge side down and around the seal) to slide the seal down into place on top of the pump housing. When the tool hits the top of the housing, the seal is in place.

Back