Logo

What is this electronic box?

the_tassie_devil

Regular Contributor
G'day all,

I am trying to figure out just what the Motorolla Marine Products box in the picture that is attached to the coil holder is for.

My engine is a Buick 155 HP V6, and someone has cable-tied a Resistor to the top of it to possibly by-pass what is inside it.

It appears to have been disconnected some time ago, as there is a bit of extra wiring, so, do I need it?

Yes, I realise the picture is upside down, but I am "Down-under".

Thanks,

Bruce.

Last edited:
Looks like the regulator for your charging system, or the original alternator. If a new one has been fitted with internal regulator it is probably not in use..

ESA.......mmmmmmm...........

How does one of these actually work? And, what does it do? And, how does one test it to see if it is doing its' intended task?

Thanks,

Bruce.

what year motor is this? Esa electronic shift assist module. Used to stumble the motor so when the motor is running you can disengage into neutral. let me see if i can pull up a better description. and test procedure.

G'day chiefalen,

Now we are getting somewhere. Thanks for the link.

Now the next question. Where do I find the "Ignition Interruptor Switch"?

Is it in the Gear-shift Forward and Reverse Control Head?

Thanks,

Bruce.

PS. The engine is a 155 HP Buick 225 Cubic Inch Odd-fire V6, in my 1973 Chris-Craft Seasport 16 Gull Wing, and the Stern Leg is an Electric Shift unit..

Last edited:
Forget about the ESA, that was the later 400/800 drives and Cobra engines, 81 and newer!
Your V6 Buick dates back from late 60's and a few years on. The original alternators did not have a built-in regulator, but an external one. Same alternator but a bit later, the regulator was bolted on the thermostat housings on the OMC's, but made by Prestolite if not mistaken.
I guess that 'box' has one B+ (from ignition), one Ground (-) and one going to generator field.

Taz thats why i asked the year. No esa on elec shift models.

It's disconnected the box correct ? If yes then look at the alternator. Someone upgrade it ?

Also be aware of the resister wire. Might have used one back then.

This could turn out to be a cluster f--k be real real careful i don't want you to get hurt.

Think twice before you do anything .

Want to know what i would do ?

Last edited:
Ah ha, A Regulator it is, and it looks like it has been bypassed, as the Alternator on the engine is an Internally Regulated one.

Thanks everyone.

Hopefully launching day is tomorrow, or Tuesday.

Bruce.

Back