Logo

40 hp Japanese Mariner... id????

cellularantenna

I have a 40 hp long shaft Japanese Mariner with electric start. It is a 2 cyl. The numbers on the freeze plug below the hook are 413333. The numbers on the tag on the transom mount are obliterated. I am trying to get the information I need to order parts. If anyone can more fully identify this engine it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom B.

I'm guessing here but I think you have a 1983 40C EL,that is if the preceding #'s of that production # are 6E9.Providing that what you are calling a freeze plug is the welch plug and hook? Graham,over to you.Oh and it may be an option to talk to a Yamaha dealer as these are an exact copy of Yamaha's own older 40's.

Yes, it is a welch plug and it's on the left rear of the engine below the hook. BTW, the lower unit case is one piece, not two.
:confused: the lower unit should split from the leg just above the cavatation plate.There should be a number of bolts to allow you to drop the unit to access the water pump.
This motor is an exact replica of Yamaha's own 40FE's built in the late '70's early '80's for Mercury and painted gray and called a Mariner. Graham must have missed the thread as he could give you an exact year.But from reading his posts on these motors they are a good motor and were very popular up until Mercury stopped trading with Yamaha,the reason slips my mind,something to do with trade laws,I think.:)

Back