Logo

Repower?

kountzelightdiesel

Contributing Member
Ok I had some great advice that I didn't listen too!
I managed to unleash tons of lost horsepower on my 83 2.5L but not enough prop. I over reved it and it came apart! With that being said...

You guys suggested a repower with a 3.0L if I am searching for an engine it seems like an option.

OMC's seem to be very rare in my area. So if I find another brand will the manifold and riser for the 2.5 work with the 3.0 and the other accesories

Also does anyone in the south texas area know of any marine salvage yards?

Thanks Jeff

you need a long block merc or volvo anything before 90' 140-3.0 use everything off the old one if still good if not a omc motor you will need the man'i and riser off your old motor to match up to the exhaust.

Cannon i didn't even ask, cause i don't want to know i had a 2.5 i did something stupid replacing the head i over torqued and pulled the corner hole. good bye 2.5 hello 140 hp was like night and day the extra 20 hp meant to me.

"if not a omc motor you will need the man'i and riser off your old motor to match up to the exhaust. "

Meaning the 2.5 will work on the 3.0 or I would need to find a 3.0 manifold like my 2.5? what about carb?

Also I have pulled my outdrive a couple of times but never at the engine. Can you just unbolt around the bell housing and lift the engine out leaving the rear mounts and outdrive in the boat?

Cannon -mostly just adjusted the carb and had some timing advance issues. The bad decision was when I kept trimming when I KNEW I was beyond the magic 4600. it never would get near there before the adjustments.

The 2.5 mani is the exact same as a 3.0 as is everything else on the 2.5. everything external of the motor will fit one to the other. Any brand motor is the same block, chevy. carb also take your old carb if the new to you used motor doesn't have one.

Well, I got this off of Craig's List a while ago...might be worth a call:

Boat Salvage Yard-----Boat Parts

Date: 2009-08-27, 9:28AM

We are one of the few salvage yards in the Houston. There are about 40 boats on our lot that we are parting out. We have 11 Power Boats, 14 Sailboats, 12 Fishing Boats, 6 Center Console and 1 House Boat. Our outboard motors are 50 hp and up and are for parts only. We have 4, 6 and 8 cylinder inboard motors and parts as well as a variety of outdrive units. If you need parts it is defenitely worth the drive to come see us. We are located close to bush airport at 2919 Farrell rd, houston, 77073. We are on keymap page 333 y or you can mapquest us. We are open Mon-Fri 9 am to 6 pm and Sat 9 am to 3 pm, thanks.

Back