Logo

Carburetor "Wedge"

joeld98

Sorry for the duplicate post. Pulling this out of the post about the dead engine to stand on it's own.

I picked up a couple square bore 5 degree plates with the new performer intake manifold and carb. Looks just like the Edelbrock 2732 square bore adapter plate they recommend but with the angle. The QJ wedge part number from the old engines describes it as an 8 degree angle. I've put them side by side and the angles seem to line up but the Moroso one is about 1/4 in thicker.

Couple questions:

1) Is the 3 Degree difference significant in operation? Seems like anything that affects the plane of the boat could change this anyway.

2) I thought I understood the single plane / dual plane pros and cons, but I'm confused. If the plenum is open from the top of the intake to the bottom of the carb (every gasket, plate, etc is just an open square hole except for one special heat restricting divided bore gasket) , does having dual plane do anything for you? Seems like whichever side had the lower pressure would starve the other side. Am I missing something?

Never seen a dual plane on a "normal" marine engine--racing rigs, perhaps.

If the carbs tilts forward a bit, that's okay since it will tilt back a bit on acceleration and when you drop off plane.

Jeff

I think 12 deg is standard for straight inboards and 5 deg is standard for cars. There is an 8 deg out listed for some apps, not sure about that.
Jeff; dual plane is for low speed, non racing. Single plane, non heated typically for >6000 rpm, right?

Yeah, Jeff has it backwards on this one. Single plane is a straight shot through the runner directly into the head. Race and High RPM applications, minimum power at low RPM. Dual plane, pretty much every stock application, has divided "runners" and channels to provide power range off idle on up for stock apps.

Back