Logo

1989 120hp V4 water pump replacement

Dfrey1964

I'm going to tackle replacement. The manual seems ok ,but reading topics here and there. have some questions.
It looks like the shift link seems to be the worse part?
I belive from the port side I see a bolt connection.
Is it better to have it in reverse? or doesnt it matter?
already studied water pump kit seem straight forward.
torqueing water pump bolts to 60-84 in/ lbs
anything else I need to know??

useing permatex 80019 seal grease (avaition)

if its like my 1993....88hp, the only thing i run into was the pump (impellar) spins around on the shaft to lock in place, the easy way for me was to cut the impellar off with a chisel,going straight down the side of the shaft to losen the bite it had on the shaft,,,, hope it helps some:)

thanks I heard that is possible.
I owned the engine for 6 years now and beening 21 yr old
I'm not sure the pump has ever been serviced.
Better late then broke on the water.

Did the pump seems like it was replace some time ago impeller looked good. I still replaced everything. Tough part was getting it all lined up . Ran in driveway 5 - 10 minutes no alarms same water flow out. I have to do a river run to see if did everything is right.

My aching back thou..........

One trick I like to use. I get a fairly wide cable tie, link it, and put it over the impeller. I then gently flex the impeller blades in the correct direction, and tighten the cable tie as I go. When I finish, the pump housing is easy to push over the compressed impeller. I then push the housing downward over the installed impeller, and when the housing is about halfway down, I snip and remove the cable tie. I find that it makes the job much easier. A wide tie is necessary as skinny ones might tend to cut the rubber impeller blades. Also, take a good look at the driveshaft seal under the waterpump plate. It is frequently in need of replacement. Also, if your water inlet screens are shot, you need to replace those before you install the pump on most applications.

Back