Logo

Engine identification 1976 140

budgie14

Regular Contributor
Hi,i recently bought this 1976 Fi Glass Warrior,with a GM 140hp 4 cyl inline motor.the engine number is FO91660 and it has the two barrel Rochester carb with the two idle mixture screws.on the ali rocker cover it says 140.Im trying to establish the actual cubic inch and year and designation.Is it the 3.0 litre or 140hp 181CI[181 is 3.0 litre]I cant find an actual serial number anywhere.only number similar is cast into the RHS block near the starter which reads 3849449 then H264,but i always thought they were just cast numbers ie nothing to do with identification.it has raw water system,points dizzy[which ive just updated to electronic] and normal water pump.with the new electronic distributor,would it now be the 3.0 litre LX:confused: the whole motor is similar to the 4 cylinder Holden motor that we used to have in NZ

Re: Engine identification

The only Service Manual that is listed from Mercruiser that even comes close to your 1976 4 cyl engine, That I could find is part number 90-95693 But it only starts out with covering the Mercruiser engine year 78-84 at a cost of around $99.95 from a mercruiser dealer, And the Mercruiser factory has some in stock still.;)

I'm not sure if this will help you or not But you could give it a try if you would like. The links below are of certain pages out of a newer 4 cylinder engine service manual. It may help give you an idea of where to look for your engine serial number, And also a place to look for a engine (ID) number.

The reason I did all this, Is because I could not find anything with the numbers you posted, But maybe someone else here on the boards can find something with those numbers.
And if not then you might need a service manual to help guide you with finding your Engine Identification like in the second link below, Good luck.

To see where your engine serial number might be, Go to page 1A-3 in this first link.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/13/13A1R2.PDF

To see where your Engine Identification might be, Go to page 3A-6 in this second link below.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/13/13A3R2.PDF

Back