Logo

1991 johnson 30hp lower unit stuck

brandon51

my 91 johnson 30hp electric start has a stuck lower unit. i took the 5 bolts off and the unit is about 1.5'' seperated . i have no clue how to disconect the shift linkage. if i shift forword or reverse the lower unit raises up or down but it wont seperate.only reason im taking it off it i think the water pump is crap now the water line is just blowing exhaust out of it. if someone has an idea or even a diagram or picture of what i have to disconect that would be great as i am new to boat motors and not 100% sure about what names of certain parts are. also i notice when i take the boat out of the water ( when motor was good) there was a oil/sandy black crap coming out of one of the tiny holes on lower unit where water is pushed out and same stuff also leaking from prop but only a few days after it sits do i notice it.

Remove the water intake, 2 1/2" box wrenches and split the shift rod.
Push the nut on upper rod UP, remove the plastic keeper on the rod, push down the nut and remove the gearcase!!!

Remove water intake screen from lower unit. Using two wrenches, split the nut assembly on the shift rod and slide the top nut upwards. Notice the small nylon retainer on the top shaft.... it has a split in it whereas you can spread and remove it. Pay attention as to what way it is installed and set it aside as you'll need it again.

The lower unit should now drop off.

Back