Logo

Year of Motor

gevanbsh

I have a Honda 7.5 hp motor and would like to know the year. The only numbers that I can find are BF75S-1705059. Can anyone help me with the identification of the year.

ringo111

In North America, the A1 designation of the BF35A1 denotes 2001. That being said, the BF35 has not been available in North America since 1993. It was offered between 1990 and 1993. At that time the model number was BF35AM for all three years.

So I am not really sure that my answer is going to make much sense.

Mike

ringo111,

Sorry, the serial number puts it in the 1990 to 1993 range and makes it a BF35AM model not a BF35A1.

Mike

Last edited:
mike. was this 35 hp 4 stroke. known to have any problems . seems like they were only. made. like you said early 90s cant seem to get any reviews on it fm google thanks

I do not remember working on any. Looking at the parts breakdown, it has the same block as the 40 and 50 HP. The head is a little different and the carbs are different.
It looks to have the same lower unit as the 40 and 50 HP.

By that, I would think it is a pretty solid engine and was not overworked, since it looks like the design was beefed up to make the 40HP and possibly the 50. There was a 45 HP at the same time as the 35HP. There may have just been a change in what they thought the market wanted. It was just a couple of years before I started dealing with Honda.

As long as it has been maintained, it should be good. I have seen a number of 45 HP of the same vintage and they are still running like tops.

Mike

mike i bought honda motor 35 hp 4 stroke . looking at my boat 14ft x5ft fibreglass with 20 inch transom.weight of motor appros 230lbs do you think boat can handle that weight . can;t find tag on boat to see what it is rated for .ps guy i bought boat fm told me he had 70 hp evinrude onit regards

It may be alright but, I really do not know. Whenever we have a customer with a boat that is questionable, we ask them to call the manufacturer of the boat...or we call them ourselves.

Hopefully, they are still in business.

If we are in doubt, many times we will not sell them a motor, due to the safety issues involved. It may be a lost sale...but maybe a saved life.

Mike

mike if i sent you pics of boat in question . would you have a better idea if boat can handle this motor. like you said better to be safe than sorry.

You really should call the boat maker and get their input.

If the boatbuilder is no longer in business, you should find someone locally (a boat surveyer, a dealer who has sold that boat, etc) to check it out for you. The size of the boat is important, but the strength and quality of the transom are just as well.

You should not take anyone's advice on something like this over the internet. Likewise, I do not want to give a recommendation over the internet either.

Sorry...

Mike

honda controls

hi mike i have a honda 35hp 4 stroke. controls are on tiller arm. can it be converted to hand throttle cables manual.if so what would i need. hope i explain this right. thanks.

There is probably a way to change it to remote, but there are no kits. There is a kit to change it from remote to tiller, but not the other way.

I have never made the change this way.

You will have to compare the parts breakdowns for the tiller version versus the remote version.

If you have power tilt the last letters in the model number would be LHTA for tiller and LRTA for remote.

If you do not have a power tilt the last letters in the model number would be LHSA for tiller and LRSA for remote.

Hope you have a lot of patience....

Mike

honda ignition switch

hi again mike. I am switching my honda 35 hp over fm tiller to throttle control. I want to know how to wire ignition into starting motor .from the ignition I have yellow and black. white wire with stripe. black wire solid. hope you can help or direct me to get color codes. I tried on site, never found nothing. thanks

hi again mike. i have honda 35 hp 4 stroke it has a chargeing light on it/ when i put muffs on to run engine i notice light is not on . now i dont know now if i take boat down to lake if batt is chargeing or not is their another way to tell if it s chargeing or not.wondering if it should be running fast for light to come on or should it be on fm get go thanks

There is no charging light that I know of on the 35HP. If the light is on the motor and is green, it is the oil pressure light.

If the light is not coming on, you should check the oil. Be sure that it is fresh and not diluted.

The best way to check the charging is with a clamp on dc amp meter one of the battery leads. Since most people do not have these...a simple way would be to put a voltmeter on you battery and measure the voltage with the engine off. Leaving the voltmeter connected to the battery, start the engine and see what happens to the voltage. If it is charging, the voltage should go up to almost 14.5 volts. The faster the engine runs, the more it charges.

Mike

honda oil light

hi again. mike what would i do without your info. i have honda 35 hp 4 stroke. when it was tiller operated oil light green would be on showing it was pumping oil ok . i changed over to remote start everything is working ok but this green light doesn't come on anymore' i just tied in to push button wires for it to start on key. all new oil motor seems to be running ok.your info much app thanks.

Pull the yellow wire off of the oil pressure switch and run the motor. The light should light when there is no ground (not connected to the oil pressure switch) on the yellow wire. If the light still does not light...

Go to the light and follow the yellow wire to its first connector. Disconnect the yellow lead connector and see if that lights the light.

Check the black wire on the light and make sure it is grounded.

Check the light's gray lead while running and make sure you have some positive voltage between 6v and 12v dc.

You can do most of the tests without the motor running if you disconnect the gray lead going to the light and apply positive 12v. Then try removing the yellow wire from the oil pressure switch or at the first point of connection from the light (if it does not light from the oil pressure switch).

If that does not operate the light, you probably have a bad light. If it does operate from the oil pressure switch, remove the oil pressure switch and clean on the end that goes inside the motor and try again.

If still no luck, the you either have a bad switch or bad oil pressure.

Be sure to use oil that is not synthetic.

Mike

mike .i un pluged light fm harness ran ajumper wire to batt. gray to pos. bl to neg green light came on. i turn ign on no power to oil switch.just wondering when i changed over to remote start' i just spliced in to push button 2 wires white bl stripe and black with stripe now it wont start on push button . it just winds over' turn key on ign it will start seem odd it wont start on push button i only spliced into these wires ' wondering if another wire fm ign should be run some where. hope this making some sense thanks

Back