Logo

No reverse on mariner 115 hp 1984

hoffy843

I have a Mariner 115, 1984, that will not engage reverse completely. If I idle in reverse it will spin the prop, and any acceleration at all kicks it out. I tried adjusting the linkage, to steal a little from forward and give it to reverse, that only made the forward not engage properly. My guess is that the clutch dog is bad and needs to be replaced, wondering if that makes since and is this a job anyone with a little mechanical background could do?? Thanks

Re: No reverse on mariner 115

If you are satisfied that the cable/linkage is ok then yes, the next things to check out would be the clutch dog and the reverse gear.

It is a bit of work, but with a manual in hand most guys who can hold a screwdriver and a wrench could change either.

Potentially, the most difficult part could be getting the bearing carrier out. If a motor this age has be run in salt it is almost always "welded" in place...

I had a very simular problem on my 70's mercury Number 1 my shift cam was worn down and number 2 the cam follower pin was worn down also. Getting to these parts is the hard part. It would go into gear but if I would put pressure on the prop (rotating it while in gear it would more or less pop in and out of gear).If you are going to do this yourself be sure to check the clutch dog as well. When taking these apart watch for the shims very imortant when putting this back together.It can be a real pain to take apart but with the help from the good folks here and some patience and a Manual it will work.

I had the same prob lem on my 1998 150XR6. It ended up being the shift lever itself.
So are you saying that the problemcould be in the cable at the handle end. I only adjusted on the motor side and have not even considered the handle lever end.

Back