Logo

Fuel ball valve shutoff

jks11

I would like to install a ball valve shutoff in the fuel line from the tank to the engines/Gen. 1/2" for the fuel and 3/8" ball valve for the Gen. Question is what type of valves can I use? Several boaters told me the ball valve in the Hardware store that are nat/lp gas rated are ok for gasoline. I am afraid that the gas would have an affect on the seals in the ball valve. Can I use these? Is there a special rated valve that is needed? Any suggestion??
Thanks John

No CFR requirement for any markings on the "manual shutoff valves". I'd check with the manufacturer. The better ones used to have teflon seals and chrome plated balls...nothing gasoline will hurt with a full flow opening. Beware of the HW store imported versions; you'll find the handles won't last two seasons.

Good, Never thought of that. The handles would rust out! Is there an on-line store that is reasonable. My marina wants $30 per ball valve. I love this site!!!!!

I would not listen to those boaters! That is mis-information.... and poor information at best!
It could put yourself and your family at risk, and possibly gain you a citation if boarded and inspected and if this were to be caught!

Double check this, but I believe that these gasoline rated valves are not ball valves.
I've not seen a ball type!
To the best of my knowledge, these are a tapered chamber type valve.

Which ever valve you purchase, make sure that it is Marine rated for gasoline use.
Purchase the correct parts, and you won't have any worries!

images

There is a whole slug of them on e-bay right now for much less than $30.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?...s_Accessories_Gear&_odkw=&_osacat=26443&bkBtn=

As usual, steer clear of anything coming from China, IMO!
So ask first where the item is made, before buying!

Last edited:
Back