Logo

Q-Jet to Edelbrock Conversion 1987 340

btmline

I have a 1987 Merc 340 h.p. MIE. I'm planning replacing the Q-Jet 4 bbl. with an Edelbrock 1409. I know that I'll need the Edelbrock adaptor but in order to keep the carb "level" it looks like I'll have to keep the original Merc wedge. Is that correct? Also, the holes for the throttle cable bracket ar not going to line up with both of the the studs for the Edelbrock. I can get it on one stud. Anybody dealt with this issue? Thanks.

Re: Q-Jet to Edelbrock Conversion

thats pretty good carb i think btmline the 1409 mine bolt right up i have a 4-barrel holley high rise intake dont know much about the wedge. marine carbs r design to work on unlevel surfaces. dont know much about the quad-jet. is your intake factory??

BTMLINE:

You want to keep the carb 'level' which is tough to measure on the boat. Keeping the wedge is a good idea but you need to make sure you have enough head room so the engine cover isn't resting on top of the flame arrester.

The throttle cable bracket can be replaced or modified depending upon how much adjustment is needed. You need to make sure the stud selected opens the throttle plates you you move your control.

Don't forget the choke is electric so your old "stove" isn't used.

The last "neat" item is to get the flex hose that will mate with the inverted flare fitting on the carb.

I'll take you old q-jet if it needs a new home. I use them for teaching kids about engines. Use the board's message function if you are interested.

Guys: Thanks for the replies. I've been on a business trip since I posted and just saw them lastr night. Hopefully will be getting to the boat next weekend and doing the install.

Mark -Do I need a special fitting for the carb fuel inlet? I planned on using Russell fittings 640240 - carb adaptor and 613160 - 90 deg. swivel. I gave the Q-Jet to my BIL who is having it rebuilt. I'll check and see what he did with his.

Thanks again.

Based on the little bit of Russell info I have, that is NOT the correct adapter to go to AN fittings. I'm sure the catalog(s) is all over the www. If unsure, I'd call Edelbrock Tech Support and get the correct number. they are on the west coast so adjust your clock accordingly.

Back