Logo

95 DT 200 ticking and couphing sputtering at low rpm?

red5

It just started this season. Only at idle speed or slightly above. It has a slght ticking sound. And it couphs / sputters every so often. Is this a sign of troubles to come? What can i do to keep this from getting worse? Any dea on what could cause this to happen?:confused:

Ok that cough is called a lean sneeze, clean the injectors and replace fuel filters
also check tps settings

Just discovered that my internal fuel filter (the one that has a single bolt holding it to the motor) has a hair line crack in it. Can I glue this? I bet this has a lot to do withthe problem.

Almost a month later and i am dealing with the same issue. Here is what I have done:
I pulled the flywheel and checked, everything looked ok. Ran a compression test and they were all even at about 105. Put the flywheel back on and ran it for a while. Still making the sound. So i pulled the boat and took it to a repair shop. They are booked solid and the guy said he doesn't like to work on Suzuki outboards. He told me that it was not a tick i was hearing but an air leak. It is comming from the top oil seal on the crankshaft. So i bought this part. And now I CAN NOT GET THIS FREAKING FLYWHEEL OFF FOR ANYTHING!
I've broken two pullers. Now I have a bolt stuck broke off in the flywheel. So I guess I need to drill it out then back it out. Guess it may be time to invest in a for real suzuki flywheel puller.

Looking for ideas.

Is this seal one I can change in place or do I need to reomve the entire power head. The guy at the shop told me that if I was lucky I may be able to drill a small hole in it and pull it out without removing the powerhead. Does any of this sound familiar?

I'll add that if you have a stubborn flywheel, buy a $8 rubber mallet -a must.

When you get good tension on the puller, rap the flywheel with the rubber mallet. You may have to wack it a few times. or so. If still stuck, tighten, wack a few more times.

I've also used a 3 jaw puller to get them off.:eek: Make sure the jaws can get seated well, then same deal.

And yes, his instructions are the norm for a back yard mechanic pulling an upper seal. Suck out any chips. I've also drilled partway, then used a 10d nail to punch a small hole(no chips). There's lots of ways to do it.

Now the, "No-hitty on the flywheel" Nazi's will have a Hit-man out looking for me - not to mention the 3 jaw puller!!!

Use advice as you see fit, done hundreds of times and no damage ever.

Just curious, when you had the flywheel off, did you see any oil under it?

FIXED!
Weird situation. Turned out that one of the bolts that holds one of the two or three fuel pumps had come out. These are the same type of pumps you find on mowers and such. They operate by vibration. Inserted one bolt and replaced the seal and poof. Good as gold. :)
Thanks to those of you that tries to help. All appreciated.

Back