Logo

1986 150hp Yamaha V6 Questions

Twostroker

New to the site and need some help

1st - I just bought a boat running a 1986 Vangard Phantom with a Yamaha 150 V6 running Stock 19 Pitch prop turning 5400 rpm at wide open and hitting only 50 mph Should this not run faster?

What year would it be numbers on tag are as follows

150ETLK
6G4 / L / 402057

Want more speed what prop should I be running? Also will be pulling the kids tubing and sking

I was also running it for first time today and when i am at 3/4 trottle and hit it widw open there is no change in rpm or speed and the carb butterflies are wide open maybe a prop issue? Also i can seem to trim the motor all the way up to rooster but at idle I can ?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Re: 150 Yamaha V6 Questions

When running, there is a trim lock that stops the motor from going up so high so that it stays in the water. The speed you are running is about normal with that year boat. Don't forget, the older they are the heavier they are.

Last edited:

When running, there is a trim lock that stops the motor from going up so high so that it stays in the water. The speed you are running is about normal with that year boat. Don't forget, the older they are the heavier they are.

trim lock were is that ? I dont see one anywhere what is a good prop pitch

The trim lock is electronic. It runs off the trim gauge sender. Do Not disconnect, if you run it dry, you will cook the motor.
What you have is a good one. The only really good way to find the best pitch is by trial and error, but props are big $$$$$$. So unless you have someone that will let you try props then I would stick with what is there.

Well put on a 23 pitch stainless and boat running flat in water still cant get it to pop out of the water she is running at least 3/4 still in water, Moved the motor up one notch on the transom and will see what that does................ Not a bit of rooster coming from engine when trimed all the way out too weird....

When I am at idle and trim motor all the way and gun it the motor drops back down instant i cant even roost which seems weird maybe it is a yamaha thing?

Its not a Yamaha thing.Mine will throw a rooster tail when I first get it trimmed out then the bow will lift.Then the rooster tail stays about motor top high which is what you want.

When I set my boat up,I took tools and a friend to back my trailer in and out of the water.Ran the boat then loaded and moved motor up or down about an eighth of an inch at a time till I found its best performance.

that motor should only turn around 5400 to be safe, for bow lift you need a prop with a cup but this will bring your rpm's down so try down 1 pitch with a cup type prop.

i am a certified factory tech from yamaha. That engine is running perfectly at 5400rpm and 50mph. and to take the age of the engine into effect you are doing great.Why change it? as for the motor code he is correct it is an 85'

oh forgot to tell you moving the engine from original mounting height is not reconmended, it will cause cavitation and could fry your engine if it is to high. if it cavitates it could couse the engine to redline and blow

hey ! i've got Two 150 v6 commercial yamaha outboards . One of them is having carburetor problems and i am assuming that the other one will have the same problem in the near future. Is there a step by step instruction process to remove the carburetor without having to pay an expensive mechanic? your help is appreciated.

Back