Logo

Help please - Honda outboard motor warning alarm

casey2131

Hi,
I was wondering if I can please get some help. I have a 2000, Honda 50 horsepower, four stroke, outboard that has an alarm sounding. Only lights that are on is a green oil light on the remote. The water is moving with no signs of overheating. The alarm is a steady beep. It started as soon as I turned on the key. The engine wasn't even running yet. So that leads me to believe it's not and oil problem. But who knows ?? Turning the key on and off does not stop the alarm. Can anyone help. Thank you very much. Frank

The good news is, the alarm will sound when you just turn on the switch. i am assuming it happens even when cold. That will make it easier to find the trouble.

An easy way to test for a bad thermal switch is just to disconnect it. It is located on the port side rear near the top and just to the left of the thermostat. Just pull the connector off of the thermo switch. Turn your key on and test. You should hear no alarm if (the wire is disconnected) the switch is bad.

If you have an ohm meter, you could also test the resistance of the switch itself to ground. With the wire disconnected, if there is continuity to ground, then the switch is bad. It should be an open circuit to ground until the engine overheats, then it provides continuity to ground.

If the alarm sounds with it disconnected, there is something else going on in the wiring.

Let's hope for the switch.

Mike

There is also an alarm for your tilt/trim, sometimes the sensor goes bad
i traced the wires back and disconnected at the motor.
no more alarm !

dark_star is right...there is also an alarm for the trim and tilt. It is an on off on off type. If it is functioning correctly, it will go off if you have the motor in gear and tilt the motor too high. Who knows what it will do it not functioning correctly???

Wow, thank you so much everyone ! I will take all of your Suggestions into account and see what happens. Thanks again and god bless. :)

I'm trying to disconnect the tilt warning buzzer, but I can't figure out how to determine which wire to disconnect. There are about 20 wires by the bottom spark plug. Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Chilitopper

I have the exact same issue with my 2000 Honda 75 HP Four-Stroke. Thought I had it fixed but it just returned last week. My "fix" was to put on a new connector where the temperature sensor goes into the head. The only issue I'm seeing now is at idle no alarm. Throttle up and the alarm goes off and the engine returns to a safe mode. Replaced the impeller and the water spits fine and is cool to the touch. Block is also cool to the touch. I'm thinking I might have a grounding issue. Does anyone know how to test that with a fluke meter? The engine has been a beast for 22 years. Never an issue. Starts right up first pull. Would love to solve this and keep using it.

Back