Logo

Used penetrating oil instead of fogging fluid 1991 225 hp

zapman

When I winterized my '91 Yammie 225 last fall, I accidentally used penetrating oil instead of fogging fluid into the carbs (the label had fallen off & I mistakenly thought it was the fogging fluid).

Have I done any damage here? What, if anything, should I do prior to starting the motor?

A friend told me that since penetrating oil has solvents in it, that I should spray a light weight motor oil in through the spark plug holes to lubricate the cylinders and prevent any damage ...

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Used penetrating oil instead of fogging fluid

You should be fine.
I've heard of folks using WD40 when an engine has not been run for a long time, straight into the cylinder heads. What is it going to hurt?

If it fires up, you will probably get a lot of smoke until it burns off. I can't imagine it hurting anything.

Shouldn't hurt anything, but I would pull the plugs, and put some 2 stroke oil in the cylinders, and turn it over, then put the plugs in and fire it up. Let it idle until it warms up and quits smoking, then rev it some. First though drain the carbs, pump the bulb then drain them again.

While not ideal, WD40 is an alternative to fogging oil if none is available - it certainly didn't hurt anything and would have kept the rust and cooties out better than nothing.

When you fire the motor up I would pick up a spray can of Mercury "PowerTune" (or a like product) and follow the directions on the can. It will clean up any residual traces to gunk in the cylinders (as well as remove the carbon and other cooties).....

Back