Logo

i'm a newb - just joined 1974 20 hp

chuckect

i have a 14' valco with a 1974(i think) 20hp johnson & a 2hp kicker & oars. yesterday on the waccasassa river(near cedar key fl) my johnson reved up in RPM like something slipping. i guess it has a rubber fingered clutch. lokking forward to being part of this forum...:D

Re: i'm a newb - just joined

Assuming that the engine is the right shaft length for the boat...... the cavitation plate just above the propeller whould be approximately 3/4" beneath the bottom of the boat at the transom, the following would pertain.

If the engine pushes the boat fairly normally at a low rpm BUT has the boat slow down and the rpms increase at the higher speed, that usually indicates that the hub within the propeller is slipping and requires rehubbing at any reliable propeller repair shop.

What is the model number of that engine? Usually numbrs on a small plate attached to the port (left) transom bracket.

Re: i'm a newb - just joined

ok: model #20rl71s(ok its a 1971) checked and shear pin is ok... spins free in netural and cranks the cylinder in gear. cavitation plate is below boat bottom a couple of inches. maybe it just cavitated because of the attitude of the boat (i was in a bad way-wind and tide and had a bit of water in boat) thanx 4 the help-i did find out i dont have rubber clutches....

Back