Logo

Tohatsu 40 Problem

bjadams44

My older Tohatsu 40 starts and runs fine at idle and low speed. When I try to give it enough gas to get up and going she just sort of bogs down and wants to stall out unless I quickly let back on the throttle.

This is a new problem but last year I noticed a surging at speed where she would speed up and slow down all on her own. I didn't use her much over our unusual winter here in Fl. and now this problem has arisen.

Any suggestions appreciated.

This could be almost anything. Time to troubleshoot. Verify fuel and ignition systems. A Factory service manual can be your friend. Most likely a carb crud problem, but many other possibilities.

1. Compression check: Compression should be at least 80lbs and not dropped more than 7lbs between each cylinder
2. Spark test: Spark should jump a gap of 1/4'' at a thick, quick zap
3. Clean out carb and S/S need passage, readjust the S/S idle screw (too much air at rev
4. Leak in fuel system/fuel line cause fuel starvation. If possible test fuel pressure
New plugs, clean carb, good igntion sytem, right adjustment for air, you will have a good running motor.

Good luck.

Back