Logo

Volvo Penta AQ145A Stalling

nige74

Hi everyone i would be greatfull if somebody could help me with this problem i have with one of my engines stalling after 10 minuets and after waiting 30 minuets it starts again, i have changed the coil,points,rotor,condenser and dist cap and made sure the dwell angle and points gap are correct to the workshop manual and still have no luck in finding the cure, any help on this will be much appreciated thank you.

nige

For starters, you may want to throw in the garbage your points and condenser and replace them with a Pertronix electronic ingnition kit (part 2842). You will be glad you did it.

Second, you may want to check the amount of blow-by gas going into the intake. If excessive, your engine needs rebuilding.

Third, make sure your carbs are synchronized and the idle mixture properly set.

If you still have the same problem, you may have to rebuild the carbs.

Hint. If you engine stalls and does not start aftgerwards, try putting the throttle lever between 75-100%, then attempt to start. Once the engine wants to start, pull immediately the throttle lever back to idle (or close to idle).

Hi el pescador,

Thank you so much for your reply i will be checking all that you have said also think about having the prestolite electronic ignition fitted again i say again as i have a receipt for removeing that and the refitting of points and condenser being done in 2002 i do not know why the guy i brought the boat from had this all changed back again, maybe you could think of a reason why he did this ?. i will keep you up to date with my progress. and once again thank you for your help.

Nige

Hi el pescador,

Thank you so much for your reply i will be checking all that you have said also think about having the prestolite electronic ignition fitted again i say again as i have a receipt for removeing that and the refitting of points and condenser being done in 2002 i do not know why the guy i brought the boat from had this all changed back again, maybe you could think of a reason why he did this ?. i will keep you up to date with my progress. and once again thank you for your help.

Nige

Some people freak at the idea of being stranded a few miles from shore and not being able to troubleshoot the ignition if it is electronic, and they feel more comfortable with points. I had this discussion before and I mentioned that someone who goes a few miles offshore without spares is IMO looking for trouble (or a small kicker outboard). A Pertronix electronic ignition kit costs somewhere between $70 and $120 (there are cheaper versions like Hot Spark), which is peanuts when we are talking about safety.

I have used both points and electronic ignition in my boats over the years, and you will never see me going back to points. In today's day and age, I firmly believe that points and condensers belong in a museum for old curiosities. :D

Hi el pescado,

Just to let you know seem to have solved the problem, looks like i was sold a faulty coil have now installed a high performance bocsh coil took the boat out for 4 hours today and no problems with it at all, :) i am looking into changing to electronic ignition but as i have just installed new points,rotor,condenser i think i will wait untill the end of season. Thank you again for you quick responce and help with this and the imformation on the electronic ignition's.

Nige

Hi el pescado,

Just to let you know seem to have solved the problem, looks like i was sold a faulty coil have now installed a high performance bocsh coil took the boat out for 4 hours today and no problems with it at all, :) i am looking into changing to electronic ignition but as i have just installed new points,rotor,condenser i think i will wait untill the end of season. Thank you again for you quick responce and help with this and the imformation on the electronic ignition's.

Nige

You are welcome, and happy boating. :)

Back