Logo

OMC 800 stringer tilt

Mdundin

I just recently got a boat with an OMC 800 stringer outdrive, and I can get the outdrive down but it wont come up with the switch. I changed the switch, swaped the solinoids, and bought a new motor for it and still nothing. It will come up about 6in and then stop. I took the clutch pack out, cleaned it up, greased it and reasembled it with the new motor and still the same outcome. However I can't seem to get the worm gear out, or the brass gear. I have looked at all the schematics online and just cant seem to get the end cap off where the shaft is. The triangular plate comes off with the three screws but behind that won't budge. Any and all suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks again...

Matty

remove all the high current leads from the 2 relays, and file both sides shiny, then - most important- file the terminal side of each nut shiny.

then, remove the 50A barrel fuses and clean the corrosion off them

to get that round plate out the back, simply hit the brass worm gear at about the 10 o clock position with a hammer and a soft punch - there's only an o-ring holding it.

Did you take the c clamp off to remove the small gear that runs the half moon gear.

with the drive up the 6" remove the 3 large bolts that hold the half moon gear on tie up the drive or jam it up with wood whatever, and remove the c clamp that hold the little gear.

Then tap the end of the shaft to remove the clutch pack, then with a screw driver from the small hole side tap the edge of the bronze gear it will come out.

With your finger you wil be able to feel the entire length of the screw shaft while it's still in the housing.Any breaks in the screw.

Ok when you installed the new motor did you bye chance take a look at the hammerblow coupling? Was is ok ?

You used a new gasket on the motor ?

You greased the trunions ?

So you say you greased up the clutch pack, you took it apart ? Does it have the platick cap with a allen screw in the end where the little gear side is? Did you turn that too tight and are binding the clutch.

Or are you installing the clutch and not using a gasket for the cover or are tightening the cover to tight bye overtightening the 4 screws ?

Use 2 gaskets for the cover on the clutch pack.

Recheck everything i just posted and post the result, but make sure you have a fully charged battery. You could also run a cable direct from the + battery to the central solenoid + nut .

Back