Logo

BF 225 Service Check Connector

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
Anyone know where I can purchase a Honda Service Check Connector for a BF 225 and approximately what it should cost? Thanks.

The service check connector part number is 070PZ-ZY30100. I would think you could order it through boats.net. Not sure of the price.

If you can not find it there, send me a private message and I can get one ordered for you.

Mike

Everything I am finding so far says "no longer available use the HDS instead". That statement does not make any sense since they are used differently. If I remember, it was very expensive.

I think Honda changed things around so that the dealer can get one on loan for testing if needed. I have never had a need...yet.

I will continue keep a lookout for one.

Well - I posted an earlier reply, but apparently it went into vapor.

You are right about not being available. A google search on the part number just showed a few strange foreign markets. It seems strange that Honda would not make that testing harness available for the DIY owner. And, as you indicated, we are talking about different functions. The testing harness allows you to test whether a sensor is operating within specs, and allows you to determine whether a malfunction code is the sensor, the circuit, or the ECM.

As for being pricy - that also sounds strange. We're simply talking about three interface plugs for the ECM that allows you to directly access the electrical inputs and outputs on individual circuits with a volt/ohm meter. No proprietary stuff, there.

Which reminds me of another matter that has ticked me off since I purchased the motor. Honda has never seen fit to output realtime engine performance data to an NMEA 2000 standard, like just about all the other manufacturers. That is not a difficult task. I guess they are making too much money on those funky digital gauges they are peddling. Here I sit with a fully operational NMEA 2000 network on my boat, and cannot get any engine performance data on that network. That's disappointing!

Okay - I'm off the soap box for the moment.

As my dad used to say, a day late and a dollar short....

Check out what is new for this year...

Click on NMEA 2000 on this page....

http://marine.honda.com/why/hondamarinetechnology

I can not say what it would take or if would be even possible to retrofit your motor. My guess a combination of new ECM, engine wiring harness, and a new cable run to the helm. There is an additional five wires from the ECM designated for NMEA2000 per the wiring diagram for the new K1 model 225.

I hope this does not make you feel worse.

Mike

Hondadude - Yep - a day late and a dollar short - possibly. On my consol harness there is a plug that looks very much like an NMEA 2000 input plug, but it is inactive. Two years ago I had a conversation with one of the top tech guys in Atlanta who indicated that Honda was considering making that move. I think I will re-contact him and ask the question of what it would take to activate it. Will let you know.

Sounds like a plan. I hope he is still there. There have been a lot of changes at Honda in the past couple of years. You can see a little more is you look at the most recent owner's manual http://marine.honda.com/pdf/manuals/00X31ZY26200.pdf Pages 14 and 32. Unfortunately, there is no wiring diagram in this owner's manual.

I do not get into these things that much being inland...the rigging stays pretty simple other than an occassional Coast Guard, Fire/Rescue or State Natural Resouces boat.

Hopefully, there is more in my future...since my formal training was Electronic Engineering.

I would be interested in what you find out.

Mike

Mike,

Finally got together with Honda Tech in Atlanta. Not sure of his level, but seemed well up into the organization. He stated flatly that there is no way to retrofit to an older 225 to get engine performance data into an NMEA 2000 network. End of conversation.

Frankly, I don't believe them. We know the digital data is being output to those funky Honda digital gauges. If one knew, or could figure out, the translation protocols used in those gauges, it would seem to be a simple matter of translating them to the NMEA 2000 public domain protocols on a simple EPROM and throw them into the network. You wouldn't have to touch the ECM or anything else - just interrupt the signal to the gauges.

Bet someone could make a pile of money if they figured out how to do that. The system could probably be made to work with most any honda outboard.

Has anyone been successful in finding an ECM Test Harness (070PZ-ZY30200) that DIYs can get a hold of? Also, can some one tell me what two contacts in the Red 4 pin Service Connector that you short out to access the MIL codes? Thanks

The ECM Test Harness is no longer available from Honda. I did some extensive Internet searches last year and could not find a valid source, which is a damn shame. Using that test harness will actually give you more information and better diagnostics than the HDS. If you DO find a source, please let me know.

To get the MIL blinks, the manual shows shorting the two wires in the service check connector that are closest to the motor. That would be the lime green/white to black – that is, the two wires that are closest to the engine when the red service connector is in it’s holder. If in doubt, invest in a SCS service connector, which you can order online for under 20 bucks. Part number 070PZ-ZY30100. If you short the wrong wires you can damage the ECM.

Thank you. I was hoping someone found a supplier for the test harness. I let you know what I find.
I looked on Boats.net for the Service short connector 070PZ-ZY30100, but nothig came up.

Just Google the part number, you will find a bunch. Don't laugh, but I ordered mine thru lawnmowerpros.com. Honda apparently uses these same service connectors on most all of their engines.

I want to revisit this thread in the future.....HOPEFULLY someone will figure out a way to get a BF150 (2008) to speak N2K via digital harness to N2K....please, please, please...

The letter (9/10) introducing the cable says that BF150's serial number BANJ- 1304171~ FORWARD
and BAPJ-1300650 ~ FORWARD (counter rotating) are supposed to be compatible. Need the signal supply cable 06328-ZZ3-760HE.

Mike

MIke - about what year/month does that serial number represent? Is there hope for retrofitting the BF 225 with a harness that will output to the NMEA 200 protocol?

As I said before, If one knew, or could figure out, the translation protocols used in those digital gauges, it would seem to be a simple matter of translating them to the NMEA 2000 public domain protocols on a simple EPROM and throw them into the network. You wouldn't have to touch the ECM or anything else - just interrupt the signal to the gauges.

The letter indicates BAGJ-1600012 ~ FORWARD for the standard 225 and BAHJ-1600003 ~ FORWARD for counter rotation. This only includes the AK1 models, which are 2010. Sorry. No word on any retrofits.

Mike

Thanks for the kudos. I generally do this on the couch while I am watching TV. It sounds crazy after pulling my hair out on these issues all day long. Besides....you and Jimmy answer all the hard ones.

I think I see the men in the white coats coming up the drive now!

Mike

Back