Logo

Advice on my 3.0L

Ryanscolo

Okay, long story short. I bought my 1984 SeaSwirl when I got back from Afghanistan. Took it out once and it got hot, the manifold was crap, got a new manafold, put it on and took it out, had water in my oil. Took the head down to a local machinist who showed me that the head was warped really bad. Got a new head, just got it all installed, put oil in and hooked the water up and now I got water in my oil again. So, what is it, do I have a cracked block? That seems to be the only thing left??If so, where do I go to get another block.....should I go back through the local machinist and have him procure the block?? dont need a new head...just the block???

Oh and for furture referance for everyone...never try to do business with remanufactured.com....they are crooks!

What should I do?

Ryan

That's really not good Ryan,

Was the engine subject to freezing conditions? And the Block has cracked?

How badly was the Head warped? And was there any gurantee from the seller you purchased the boat from?

Sounds like the engine should be pulled out, and really had a good looking over.

Bruce.

First welcome back ! You getting back safe is the main thing, so now lets see if we can help you.

I have the exact same motor as you.

1- You checked the riser when you installed the mani ?

2- You still have the old head ?

3- Was this a new head or a rebuilt head you installed ?

4- Did you use a torque wrench when you installed the head ?

5- What torque value was the bolts ? 90-100 ?

6- Did you follow procedure center out ?

7- Did you bye chance pull up a hole maybe a corner one when installing the head ?

8- did you re-torque after running the motor?

9- You use the correct gasket ?

10- The mani, did you use the correct gasket ?

11- mani torqued correct value.

12-You have a flapper, shutter in the exhaust tube?

13- Besides the water in the oil what else is happening with the motor, when you run it, does the level of the oil rise alot way over the full mark, or is just milky ?

14- The t-stat housing, when it was off did you look in the neck, was the water jacket shot and maybe a hole from the water jacket into the pushrod hole developed ?
Happened to me.

15- Could there be a hole in the one you just installed?

Bear with me check all the above post your finding before you start thinking about replacement for you block.

Back