Logo

intermittent issues

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
Hey guys I have some intermittent issues with my motor, the 200 HP Johnson, at times I put the boat in the water and crank and crank and it appears as if it has no spark, but if that was the case wouldn’t the RPM range would not show cranking rpms??, as rpms are read from #1 firing right??? It seams that I can take all the plugs out and crank the motor some then install the plugs back in and the motor will fire right away, like if it was flooded on gas… so I’m debating between two courses of action either spark route or been flooded road…
and the issues happens may be once every five times, but once the motor runs it will re start again and again w/o issues even after 24 hours of sitting the problem seems to come back when it sits for a while like 10 days

it is an early 90s, yes the plugs were wet... but wet plugs could be the result of cranking and cranking w/o spark right?? if the spark is the issue... how is it that i will have spark and the not have it???

When you have the non starting engine problem, remove the spark plugs and check to see if you indeed do or do not have spark.

Check if you have a 'wiggly' shift interrupt switch or safety switch.
Temporarily disconnect stop circuit to power pack during start and see if that improves the condition.

Back