Logo

R drive

Fellas,
I have a pre alpha 165 outdrive, (I think it is an R). Anyways, the problem I am having is a small amount of gear oil in the bellows, which I think means the oil seal on the drive gear assembly on the upper is bad. I found a seal kit for the upper fairly cheap, but here is the issue. I know that doing a gear change on the outdrive is a major pain in the keister what with the shimming and special tools and all. However, if I am not changing the gears or bearings or any of the other hardware, and using all the same components, would I still have to reshim? I am only changing the seals. If I have to, I have to decide if I want to spend a fortune on all the tools to do it, spend a fortune having the upper rebuilt, or spend a fortune buying another upper.

You pressure test the drive with oil in it to see exactly where it is leaking ?

If it's just seals your messing with then no expensive tools needed. Me i make a line on the nut and bolt so i know exactly where on the bolt a nut sits exactly how many threads were on the top, it sits exactly where i took it off.

Was i clear ? Sometimes people say i'm not being clear, when i try to explain things.

No, I didn't pressure check it, because I don't have a tester yet. I am trying to find a cheap one or parts to make one. Any suggestions? I understand what you are saying about marking the nuts/bolts.

The threaded holes for fill and vent are 3/8-16 so a bicycle tire pump, a air pressure guage after the pump and then a short piece of tubing (6 inches) and a threaded piece 3/8-16 (an oring or gasket to seal it) with a hole thru it. Empty gear oil, put one plug/screw back in and pump outdrive up until you reach ~ 15-18 PSI no more.

Watch guage and listen

I am going to get the stuff to make a tester, but to have oil in the bellows it can only be coming from the oil seal on the drive gear assembly, by my reckoning. I already know it will have to be changed, so I wanted to make sure that if I am changing the seals (and actually I think I want to change them all since I will be taking it apart anyway) I just want to be sure I can do this without all the stuff I would need if I was actually changing the gears and bearings.

It is called the carrier seal,

You need the special "spanner" tool to remove the nut and the tourque spec for the nut that holds the bearing and seal assembly to the yoke and the nut spoken about above.....

also need a large hose clamp to hold the bearing asssembly so the bearings are in line so it will go back into the housing......

Good luck if you have never done it before and have no manual......

Back