Logo

Marine parts vs auto parts

freddiedad

Contributing Member
I have a 1985 searay It has a gmc,v6,3.8 liter . I want to change the ignition coil & spark plug wires. Does it make a diffrence marine or auto?I know some parts u must use marine.

Thanks Steve

You want parts that are safe to use at reasonable prices, order from this site.
Some auto parts may be used, some are not recommended to be used in marine applications, some are not allowed!
It is not possible to give a general answer.
To give an example.
You may use automotive points, but most of the 'marine' points handles higher rpm's better and lasts longer.

coil is the same wires also. Points are points. You need a marine starter and alternator. Fuel pump and carb., dist.

Points are not 'points' in my opinion and experience.
Used to service both OMC and Volvo.
Using the original OMC points in the Volvo's, lasted about twice as long as the original Volvo points.

The best was the 'ventilated' ones using a copper strip for lead and separate spring.
As for plug wires?
Silicone 'Hot wires' in and old fashioned points/condenser system might not always be the best, and running Beru or Bosh plugs in a GM engine is asking for trouble! Almost as bad as using Champion in a BMW or Volvo!

Be a pro and put the marine wires in like Magstar there yellow and if you paint your cap red you'll have a fire theme workin

grease

Whenever I use Auto Parts, I make sure that they are the best possible parts available, but where any sparking is concerned, proper Marine Stuff is the ONLY way to go.

Bruce.

This is a question that has been in contention for many years, and will continue to be.

Put 100 guys in a room and you will get 125 different opinions. Same with oil, and what brand of filter.

What we can agree on is this site has very good prices.

I use airplane parts on my boat and marine parts on my car. The car parts I buy for my motor cycle and I usually put lawn mower parts on my plane. :)

the real question i need a reply for in a hurry is whar brand of toilet paper i should buy. And is 2 ply better then 1 ply, and the size of the roll, oh my so many choices.

Back