Logo

Merc 4.3 cracked block

lpedward

Has anyone ever had a Mercruiser 4.3 engine that was not properly winterized - and the 4 freeze plugs, core plugs, casting plugs, frost plugs or whatever else they are called on the side of the block come out - and there is not block damage? Mercruiser says there is almost definetly block damage and I need a new long block. I was just wandering if anyone ever had the same problem and found no block damage.

Any response is greatly appreciated.
Larry Edwards

yes it's possible there is no block damage.

You will have to pressurize the block say 15-20 psi it hold air for say overnight your good to go.

Or you can re-install new plugs and run it and keep a eye on the oil.

It running good, no cracks spewing oil, or leaking oil, then you dodged a bullet.

But if the oil level goes up or it's coughing and throwing up water and oil up the carb, then your ordering a new block.

What year ? You in fl maybe ?

Larry,

It's possible that you "got lucky" and the plugs did their job. The only way you'll know is to replace the plugs and run the engine. I had a 3.0 engine that I thought was ruined, but I was able to JB Weld the crack and it's still going strong after almost two years. Still, I definitely learned my lesson.

Attachments

• cracked.jpg
    cracked.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 4,537
  • aftercrack.jpg
    aftercrack.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 892
Back