Logo

Johnson FD-12 1958 18hp Restoration Parts Needed

Customan

I'm currently restoring a Johnson FD-12, 1958 18hp. Allot of parts are remarkable available but some are desperately needed. Does anyone know a link or persons that may have Vintage Parts? I'm needing Carb parts (seals etc.) and Leaf Plate Gaskets Sets etc. Thnks...

Sierra Catalog offers Carb Kit 18-7043 from this site, I'm almost sure BRP offers a kit for that also at your local dealer. As far as the gaskets, I just buy a sheet of cork material at an auto parts store. Use a ball peen hammer and tap the gasket material on the edges of the part, it cuts a perfect gasket every time, and it's cheap. With this method you always have gasket for whatever you need. Works good with paper gasket material too. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fast.

Thanks for your response, I would of loved factory gaskets. The carb seal looks like it was leather? It seals the Rich/lean brass rods in side the bowl.
Thanks

Dan Gano at http://www.ganotech.com/ usually has NOS gasket sets for the 50's motors if you are looking for vintage. A parts list can be found at http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/377514/37751400001.htm Pages 8 and 9 are the carb/intake set. Sounds like the gasket you refer to is the needle packing material (#62). Available thru here or BRP(OMC). Not leather just hard fiber. There is another gasket inside the bowl (#58) that is leather. Carb kit is also available from OMC but is twice the price of the Sierra kit.

Thanks, That's where I ordered 90% of the parts. Those Packing aren't available! and Sierra kit only offers 1 of 4 that I need in there kit. Is it possible to upgrade those packing's to o-rings or equivalent?

Those fiber washers are sold indiviually at my local dealer. They're not cheap ($1.00-$3.00 each) but they have them by the bag full. It shows two on each needle, but as I remember, it took three to hold the slow speed needle fast on the last one I did. I dont remember it being a big deal rebuilding that carb.

I went back and looked at my notes on that motor. The recepts shows I bought the needle and seat kit 379313 and packing x 4, then went back and got two more, sorry no part number on the packing, they (dealer) may have a generic packing for many aps. They had them in bulk. It worked fine. Kit 18-7043 shows all the gaskets and packing, looks like theres plenty.

The BRP part is 0307583 and the Sierra part is 18-7106 - you will be ordering 10 if you get from Sierra. BRP sells at $1 each. O-rings tend to shred when you adjust the valve and not seal the needle shaft well.

Back