Logo

1999 4.3 l mercruiser threw up

crossman44

Hi all.I had to tow a neigbor in this morning,she has a 1999 4.3 L mercruiser.I have been around mechanical things all my life when she lifted the engine cover it looked like the engine actually threwup a milky-oily substance .it looked as if it came from carb.it was very thick and covered the manifold plus a lot underneath motor.
She said she had winterized engine pulling freeze plugs ect and that she had just put the boat in for the first time last night it started fine and she ran in for im guessing 10 minutes then she noticed a gradual but quick loss of power then that was it.once i got her back to dock we bumped the key a few times to see if engine had seized .the first time it turned over a few times then i tried it 2 more times and no turning over it tries but no.this is a Chapparel boat in very nice condition is it worth repairing?if so does anyone have an idea of what actually went wrong.I told her I would check around and see what I could find out so any help is much appreciated
thanks

Re: 4.3 mercruiser threw up

There was water in the oil and or cylinders that caused the engine to hydrolock. Pull the plugs and see if water comes out of the cylinders. It either has a cracked block, intake or exhaust manifold. Water on top of the cylinders on one side usually means cracked exhaust manifold, gasket or exhaust shutter (flapper) is broken. No water from the plugs but in the oil usually means the block is cracked in most cases.

Check oil level. If it has gone up & looks like Mayo, it will give a clue as to how much water taken in. If it's a lot, engine will probably be scrap. (cracked block)

I would find out exactly how she winterized it, simply pulling the drain plugs and not probing with a drill bit/wire/nail,etc. to check drainage could be from a clogged drain. If so, the block and manifolds were never winterized and cracked.

Back