Logo

Rebuilding Cat 3306 TA - Help

AquaVida

Possibly looking into purcharsing a Yatch with twin Cat 3306 TA that need a complete rebuild. I am not up on Cats. I have heard comments that this engine is a Dinosaur etc. Candidly, not very useful information so I have come here to get some advice.

These engines are on a 1984 Yacht. I do not have serial number or any other information on them yet.

I would like to know your thought on having these engines rebuilt. Approximate cost if I were to have this done in Florida, are these engines not worth rebuilding per the dinosaur comment?

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone has a recommendation on a Cat certified diesel mechanic, facility that could do a bang up job in rebuilding these engines?

There's few engines ever designed to be more rebuildable than a 3306. It has wet sleeve liners. It's easy to work on and any seasoned bulldozer or fleet truck mechanic has rebuilt several.
The only complex part of a 3306 rebuild is if the block needs to be cut for counterbores ( a condition caused by liners vibrating and settling into the block). But it's not always required, and if it is, 9 times out of 10, the block can be salvaged by in place machining and inserting.

Parts are readily available including reman cranks and liner packs. Cat dealer is a good place to start for a quote. They can pull up a history of any dealer work done in the past by serial number- they might share valuable info. might be able to tell you if the engines have been rebuilt before.

Back