Logo

belt squeel on a 2004 350 MAG MIE

srdancer90

Regular Contributor
I have a 2004 350 MAG MIE, last season I noticed a belt squeal,so I changed the serpentine belt, and the noise went away for a period, then returned. I then changed the tension er pulley. If I place soap on the belt the noise subsides but will return, It makes no sequel at 600 RPM, yet when I raise the RPM the sequel is loud. Spraying the belt with WD40 quiets the noise, yet it still returns. Can this problem be in the pulley Idler or from the bushing , I have yet to change those. In hope of a reply, thanks Joe

Re: belt squeel on a 350 MAG MIE

Idler bearing or bushing. power steering pump bearing, alt bearing, engine circ pump bearing.

Re: belt squeel on a 350 MAG MIE

I have a 2004 350 MAG MIE, last season I noticed a belt squeal,so I changed the serpentine belt, and the noise went away for a period, then returned. I then changed the tension er pulley. If I place soap on the belt the noise subsides but will return, It makes no sequel at 600 RPM, yet when I raise the RPM the sequel is loud. Spraying the belt with WD40 quiets the noise, yet it still returns. Can this problem be in the pulley Idler or from the bushing , I have yet to change those. In hope of a reply, thanks Joe
Also you could have your mercruiser dealer check to see if your engine serial number falls within Mercruisers service bulletin number 2003-04 serpentine belt shredding on inboard models. Because of the year of your engine you could be within this bulletin.;)

If so it's just an adjustment of the alternator with some spacers, And double check the seawater pump pulley while their in there.

Back